Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does MMA give a false sense of toughness?

Default Does MMA give a false sense of toughness?

I mean really. Nowadays everyone wants to do mixed martial arts.... house dads, bankers, fat guys (sorry wellard)... etc.

Is it really that true a test of how hard one is in the true life sense? I mean there's ref's...rounds...tapouts...Doctors...sport.

In the street there are zero outs. For guys in high risk/ incident jobs, or anyone else unfortunate to find oneself in a fucked up scenario on the way home one night, or street toughs - really you have only 1 option to. To win convincingly and control your adrenaline shakes or end up dead or maimed. You have absolutely no lifelines just yourself.

I think its funny that the media and such equates MMA wit the "Gladiators" role. lol.

Really armed Police, Military units, high risk coast guard rescues and other special services are the real Gladiators no?

For me MMA is a sport. The champions are the guys with discipline and gameplans etc not the roid monkeys who swing for the fences.

However, Boxers for example will be able to throw better punches then your average street joe from doing it everyday for years etc. But anyone training MMA for "the street" are dicks.

Its a long discussion and could be debated for a long time.
    Team Rough House - UKs no1 fight team

Confidence Man

I dunno. I got arrested one time and the police were wank. It took 5 of them to restrain me and I'm by no means "hard" or anything. I was just pissed off that night and going mental, I wasn't fighting back, just resisting arrest and they seemed to not have a fucking clue what to do.

You can't really judge someone's "hardness" on how they would fare against an armed gang of chavs armed with knives for example. The only way to measure someone's skills is in the 1 on 1 environment. Being switched on, street wise and cunning is something that helps you in a real fight. However, you can be as hard as Fedor and then get sucker punched in a kebab house by some piss head.

Being "hard" is a lifestyle. If you were dragged up through a shit hole council estate and have experienced a harsh life and are wise to the world ... you will probably be "harder" than some doctor or lawyer who does MMA twice a week. You may not be the most technical fighter but at the end of the day when was the last rtime you saw someone win a real fight with a triangle or a flying knee?

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Hi,

MMA is a sport, pure and simple. A tough one, with fighting skills, but a sport nonetheless...

The only person who has a fasle sense of toughness is the mind of an individual himself.

On the street there are never any winners.

Smiler

Confidence Man

I remember this one time, these two reprobates were having a fight outside Sankeys in Manchester. As they were pulling each other around a load of loose change came flying out of one of their pockets and rolled all over the floor. I quickly pocketed it and made a cool 3.27.

I was a winner that night!

i agree with confidence mans post, being hard is a lifestyle, or just never being beaten up or given the fear, at the end of the day unless the guy has some serious genetics, or hes been in a lot more punch ups than average people then im going to give it to the guy who actually learns how to fight

Quote Originally Posted by Confidence Man View Post
    I remember this one time, these two reprobates were having a fight outside Sankeys in Manchester. As they were pulling each other around a load of loose change came flying out of one of their pockets and rolled all over the floor. I quickly pocketed it and made a cool 3.27.

lmfao thats mint
    Don't hang around under bridges if your scared of being trolled!

http://www.facebook.com/jacksexton1989

Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    Hi,

MMA is a sport, pure and simple. A tough one, with fighting skills, but a sport nonetheless...

The only person who has a fasle sense of toughness is the mind of an individual himself.

Smiler
    I don't know mate, Roy and Haley Cropper are doing alright.

The flipside is that it is easy to be 'hard' in the heat of the moment - anyone can flipout when angry.

Much tougher to deal with the anticipation of a match, or to push on when you can just tap out.
    No natural ability, no skills, no conditioning, no hope...no quitting

Quote Originally Posted by Confidence Man View Post

lol: Sankeys used to my favourite club.