Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A spent force?

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapperMan View Post
    for fucks sake grow up
    no takers for your juicy worm on other threads so giving this one another try? Try a different pool and change bait. Good luck with the fishing

"The UK's Lyoto Machida - Hit and Run, Baby" widge milward's Avatar

interesting thread, but i agree with both Aaron and Chris.

People move on in life and priorities change - career, family, kids etc. and some things make it alot harder to train 5-6 times a week, and if you are not 100% dedicated you will slowly slide away from the gym.

i for one cant dedicate any time to training at the minute, as id rather spend time with my family at the minute, as i hardly see Jamie as it is, so going to the colosseum 2-3 times a week is a fair sacrifce IMO. 1 year down the line i may want to train again, but not at this minute. Granted when i was competing i wasnt near as dedicated as i should be.

but MMA goes through peaks and troughs IMO, the colosseum went from both Houghtons competing,rammy,mike T, Chris,Westwell ,Rushton etc, then people moved on and there was only 2-3 guys competing i remember training at the colosseum (towards the end of Mike T training) you would find 3-4 people on th mats, but 2 years down the line there was 15 people trainng.

i just feel its a low point for the colosseum at the minute.
    You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get

Team Colosseum

ScrapperMan

no takers for your juicy worm on other threads so giving this one another try? Try a different pool and change bait. Good luck with the fishing
    Look i'll ignore the tone of the above post i think we all got off on the wrong foot.

My point is that whilst a few of the Northern Cartel guys had a go in the early days they were more of limited ability who rode on the backs of the better fighters. Whilst today they are considered very average when compared against the better prepared fighters.

Pro Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by John Hopton View Post
    Sic transit gloria mundi

However, at the time the Northern Cartel came into being, both Quannum and The Colosseum had fighters who were either on their way up, or were respected for past achievements (eg the holder of a Millenium Brawl/Extreme brawl title)
    How's that worm for ya? Good?

I think early on in the cartel days the level of coaching available just wasnt there for the higher level fighters imo. Possibly this set a culture of "no need to go". That change in particular when Leigh was there and the butlins caught up so to speak in relation to mma, but the culture had already been established.

I think john is right, in relation to MAtt, i dont know how good predators gym is but i would certainly look at Wolfslair if i were him and also Jason Tanns place. And use the 2.

This has been a very interesting thread to read and I agree with most comments posted by you guys.
    "It is better to spend 1 day as a tiger than a thousand as a sheep"

Matt "12 GAUGE" Thorpe
    www.12gaugemma.com
    Part of the mighty Northern Cartel

ScrapperMan

Thanks all i was trying to point out is that a few guys up there got in the cage early days fought a very limited number of times rode the backs of other like the Butlins and now some 5 years down the line still purport to be fighters

like who? anyone mentioned thus far were around well before the butlins

Pro Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by dirty dick View Post
    like who? anyone mentioned thus far were around well before the butlins

oh dear, I didn't have you down as a worm fan. That new bait he is using is much better. He's caught Hopton and you now. I think I will look for another pond to switch in to avoid getting hooked

Quote Originally Posted by ReD_mIst View Post
    oh dear, I didn't have you down as a worm fan. That new bait he is using is much better. He's caught Hopton and you now. I think I will look for another pond to switch in to avoid getting hooked
    Good point aaron, (well aware of the baiting) but thought i would pose the question to enhance the thread for others. Because to an extent i feel that there is a concensus of the uneducated (about mma) that nothing much preceeded the cartel from its member clubs, when in reality there is about 3-5 years worth of contribution to british mma.