Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kosen Judo in Wokingham

I can't agree with you more

and a believe a puple should be legit as you are

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Hello!

Hey WCJudoka, well done for getting it on the day. I did too at the London Judo Society. Its a way of getting your blackbelt that is very hard to achieve, and is a great achievement. It is something I perhaps hold of more importance to me than any of my 13 World Titles!!

Well done and congratulations!

Kosen? Maybe not, but it does sound like a good and productive session, and I may well pop along when I have time! Always good to travel to sessions and stuff, and I'm not that far away. I used to work at the Pheonix Plaza on the door in the early 90's and did the odd Thai class with Danny at St Crispins, so know where you are.

Hmmm....now onto what's wound me up.

BJJ. Its a version of judo with a different name. Yes, it is more ground orientated, and as a result BJJ groundwork (with of course the addition of moves considered illegal in judo) is fantastic and as a whole will complement judo very, very well.

But the same, Judo is more focused on standing and as such will complement BJJ very, very well.

So is one better than the other? NO!

They are the same but different.

Interesting that Neil Adams in the 90's had a roll with Royce Gracie and apparently described him as a 'good but not exceptional judoka'. (And this is not taking anything from Royce - what made him special was what he did, put on the line and achieved!)

A good judoka will tap a good BJJer on a good day and vice versa.

When will the BJJ and Judo wars end? THEY ARE THE SAME BUT SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT!

Have respect for each other.

Smiler

Royce never rolled with Neil Adams both Royce and Neil have told me that.
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Thai Boxing in Farnborough
    Full time academy!
    http://www.andyrobertsbjj.com

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Hi,

Never having spoken with Royce, and not been on a mat with Neil Adams (and even then he wouldn't know who I was!) since mid/late 80's, I can't confirm that.

But it was hearsay passed around during the mid-90's, and I heard it from several different judo and ju-jitsu sources. Thats why I added the work 'apparently' to my post...lol...gotta have a get out clause...

But the point is, BJJ and Judo are the same, but different, both would tap each other out on good days, BJJ is more ground focused and Judo more stand up, but c'mon fellas, both are good and deserve respect.

And a further point, if a MMAer wants to learn grappling, whether they are doing judo or BJJ, they need to know the limitations. Neither strike, both are predominantly gi, and you need to train accordingly.

For example, in my pure grappling sessions we cover the head, show knees and kicks, make clear when you can punch, sometimes training in gloves. Although we are grappling we know the context.

At judo most people are smaller than me, and so I 'handicap' myself. On the ground (or standing, but less so here) it is very rare for me to hold or use the gi, instead using hooks, as even though I will be returning to judo competition, I know the context of my grappling. In the same idea, I also imagine and train as though I would be hit on the judo mat.

Smiler

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Actually Andy, just seen where you train as well - if I get a free Tuesday or Friday I'll pop along to your sessions as well if I may!

I'm only in Church Crookham, at that time of night 20minutes from either of your sessions...

Always good to train with different people!

Smiler

More than welcome mate, at the moment they are mainly beginners but I'll be happy to roll with you.
    Full time academy!

Hi

Smiler you are more than welcome

I would appreciate you experience MMA, Kickboxing and Judo

We have met as I was at a session in Frimley when you were there training with Gaz

I personally feel both arts are great

I agree fully with the Judo/BJJ similarities and how they compliment each other thats why when I am currently upping my judo training, I was down camberley last thurs and also try and train with the budokwai guys (ray stevens, winston gordon etc) when i can.

I also agree with understanding the limitations of the styles when it comes to striking and that you also need to use that same understanding when training striking and wrestling.
    Full time academy!

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Hi,

Cheers guys! Be great to see you all!

Gaz is a great coach isn't he?

I used to train late 80's every Wednesday at High Wycombe with Ray Stevens on the randori sessions...I used to catch him from time to time with harai-makikomi, and he used to make me pay on the ground lol!

Budokwai is a tough club. Legendary even.

Camberley is a good club, me and Mark have our differences (blame our parents for not getting on lol!), but we have shown utmost respect for each other on the mat...him dumping me with his uchi-mata and me him with (surprise!) makikomi...good work ethics there, and great coaching!

I find it funny that the two people here that do both agree that both arts have much to offer and are similar! Maybe the BJJ guys (because to be honest its the BJJ guys that are a bit 'closed' on the subject, judo guys seem to be a bit more humble because our brains are scrambled from getting splatted into the mat so much!!!! Maybe the BJJ guys should do the odd judo session from time to time, and then they'll realise how much in common there is. Maybe its just about education.

I've been grappling properly, 4x week for the last three months, and really got the bug back for it!! Got a week's judo course next week, it'll fire me up more!

Smiler

Have to defend the BJJ guys a bit here.

In my experience there are closed minded BJJ guys and closed minded Judo guys. The guys that are open and do both will have the greatest success IMO.
    Full time academy!