Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: British Army Judo Team

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Default British Army Judo Team

Hi!

I've got a test for myself this week - got a week's training with the military judo teams! They're all converging on Aldershot for a week's residential course, so I'm going over each day for randori n' stuff. Just leaving for a 2hour randori session this afternoon...

It will be a great chance for me to test my skills, improve, and then put in place what I need to do to improve - and also it will help me to remember and learn the judo competition rules before doing some more competitions - I've forgotten the rules, lol!

I'll keep you posted with how the week goes, but with a 10-30-4pm session tomorrow, and 2.5hours kickboxing tonight, it looks like I'm in for a tiring week...

Smiler

Good Luck with it Gary-definately seems like a worth while training plan.
    Don't hurt any of them-our country needs them! LOL

I heard you called them all big girls blouses ?

*sits back and waits for Smiler to look like shite on Weds morning*
    No natural ability, no skills, no conditioning, no hope...no quitting

Say hello to Tom Miller for me from the Marines, he does BJJ aswell.
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Thai Boxing in Farnborough
    Full time academy!
    http://www.andyrobertsbjj.com

Good luck Gary,

Simon Childs is the practice you would want Gary - 100kg lovely judoka

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Day 1 report

Wahay!

So that was fun!

Morning today was general admin and introductions for the players, so I worked this morning and then came in for the skills and randori session 1.30-3.15pm. It was really good, a nice and interesting set of warmups, lots of randori and uchi komis, some interesting twists and helpfull and simple comments, all done as a warm up for the week ahead. The kyu grades are doing a light skills session now and the coaches are in a coaches meet, so I snuck out to get some food as I've got 1.5hours technical kickboxing tonight and 1hrs sparring.

There's about 15-20fighters of around 100kg to play with - cool! Some good ol' faces too, some of the 'older' guys I used to train with and fight with as a kid!! And then there's Major MacKenzie, who would take the Southern Area and Surrey squad sessions when I was a kid! He's still on the mat, still fit, still tough, and a fella that taught me some real good work ethics. Some real good people, all of them without fail friendly, everyone laughing, but doing some real good work.

Most importantly, I didn't feel out of my depth at all, and thats the measure of the grappling work that I've been doing, and being back on the judo mat the last few months of course too. Still warming into it, as are a couple of others. Mind you, there are a couple of noticeable exceptions who will arrive wednesday after two days recovery from the British Closed on Sunday...

Simon Childs? Do you mean Captain Childs? Top fella!

I'll ask who Tom Miller is too and say hi!

So now I'm eating away, replacing fluids, and getting ready for kickboxing tonight. Tomorrow is a long day, we have two World Class Start Programme Training Sessions with Mr Trevor Sittlington and Mr Jamie Johnson.

We were all smiles today, but I wonder how many aches we'll have by the end of the week!

Smiler

Yes Captain Childs - The youngest in the army if i am not mistaken. He fought yesterday.
    Jamie & Trevor bloody hell thats like david & goliath. I was with Raga (jamie) yesterday he is a top bloke. Keep up the reports - is tasty (Chris Sherrington) down there too? I dont know him but he is a big guy

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Oops - not sure if it was Capt Childs...I think the session was taken today by Cpl Challis from Bath Uni...I'll check which one Capt Childs is! I'm terrible with names at the best of times!

I'll check whether 'Tasty' is here too - what's his weight?

Smiler

Tasty is -100kg.
    Childs got injured yesterdays in his final pool so may not be there (still took a medal though)
    Tasty got bronze i think