Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kosen Judo in Wokingham

Default Judo Ne-waza in Wokingham - Session

Hi all,

I am starting a Judo Ne-waza session (all levels of ability welcome) on Sundays:- 6pm onwards at St. Crispins in Wokingham.

This is in conjunction with the Reading Reapers MMA team

Judo Guy
    Last edited by WCJudoGuy; 29-11-2007 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Incorrectly written - Sorry

Hi, not trying to start a row or anything, but where did you learn/train Kosen Judo?

Quote Originally Posted by WCJudoGuy View Post
    Hi all,

I am starting to teach Kosen Judo (Ne-waza) on Sundays:- 6pm onwards at St. Crispins in Wokingham.

Judo Guy
    What are the contact details for Reading Reapers MMA? Tel/Email?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by WCJudoGuy View Post
    Hi all,

I am starting to teach Kosen Judo (Ne-waza) on Sundays:- 6pm onwards at St. Crispins in Wokingham.

Judo Guy
    Kosen Judo is not a distinct art per se, rather it is a style of judo which emphasises ne-waza over tachiwaza and has an emphasis on Hikikomi (pulling opponents to the ground). Kosen judo tends to be a bit more flowing because the rules permit more activity on the ground than classical/olympic judo (which leads people to turtle up and not engage).

Kosen itself just means high school, and Kosen Judo was named since it was the style of the kodokan judo practiced at the (kosen) universities in imperial japan. It is still in practice to an extent today at the 7 universities and i have seen details of Kosen practiitioners and competitions even in europe.

Having said that, have you actually studied with guys such as Hirata Kanae/his students, or been to the kosen schools themselves or are you just actually teaching ne-waza specific classes?

There are some great Kosen instructionals on video google etc if you search for them.

BJJ is not too far from Kosen style either (given Maeda was a Kosen practitioner).

my fren,sound like maybe you not graded in brazilian jiu jitsu but you wanna teach some techniques with the kimono.thats okay my fren,but not call it kosen.that disrespectful to the japanese guys.just call it gi class for bjj with all the important details missing.

Quote Originally Posted by creonte View Post
    my fren,sound like maybe you not graded in brazilian jiu jitsu but you wanna teach some techniques with the kimono.thats okay my fren,but not call it kosen.that disrespectful to the japanese guys.just call it gi class for bjj with all the important details missing.
    And maybe it is judo newaza - rumour has it that judo guys fight on the ground in gis as well
    No natural ability, no skills, no conditioning, no hope...no quitting

kosen judo very tough style my fren.
    no-one in britain qualified to pass this stuff on,only in very few schools the japanese guys do it.
    if it normal ne waza,ok-judo guys do it yes.win by getting side control.
    nice.teach to tuck in chin to avoid choke.nice.not pull the head when doing triangle because of 'cervical'problems.nice.very tough.

Quote Originally Posted by creonte View Post
    kosen judo very tough style my fren.
    no-one in britain qualified to pass this stuff on,only in very few schools the japanese guys do it.
    if it normal ne waza,ok-judo guys do it yes.win by getting side control.
    nice.teach to tuck in chin to avoid choke.nice.not pull the head when doing triangle because of 'cervical'problems.nice.very tough.
    I'm not bashing bjj - beautiful art, really interesting.

And I don't want to talk on behalf of WCJG, because I have no idea what he teaches. Nor do I make any claims about Kosen lineage - as WCJG hasn't come back, we have no idea where it comes from (though the screen name makes me think he has some judo background )

But when you start with 'call it gi class for bjj with all the important details missing', then that is the sort of provocative statement that bjj guys sometimes make that annoys me. Judo may compete under tighter rules, but the stuff they do is technically strong. And as far as tough goes - fuck me, there are some hard as nails judo fighters up and down the competitive rankings

Honestly - I'm not a judoka, not a bjj player, I respect both arts as an outsider, and when I see the bashing that goes on between the two sometimes, it really disappoints me. The arts have so many similarities, and both can show their stuff on the mats, they really should work together.

And as both have a competitive focus, good teaching should become obvious through the students that they generate - name calling shouldn't be necessary.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I'd be happy to have more and more schools, teaching all sorts of grappling arts open, and spread the word.
    No natural ability, no skills, no conditioning, no hope...no quitting

Last edited by DDC; 05-01-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDC View Post
    Hi WCJudoGuy

I have a question how does Kosen judo differ from normal Judo Iíve watched some videos and I say wrist locks and many moves that are illegal in competitive judo. But how does Kosen judo differ are you allowed to stand up when grappling and keep play also are you allowed to do legs locks ect and is active sparring allowed?

Thanks
    i am certain they will do active sparring and allow leg locks, neck cranks twisters etc. there will be some good standard of grapplers down there and would be suitable for all levels
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall.