Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: British Army Judo Team

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Thanks!

And lol at knowing everything - who's your team mate who's there? Or if you are there why haven't you come and revealed yourself lol?!?!?

It was a really good day, lots of fun, the only downside was that Mr Morale the Guards lad dislocated his elbow during the grading...a real shame...hope he's ok it was a very nasty one, closed the kyu grade mat down most of the afternoon as they worked on it before taking him off to hospital...

Smiler

Nice one (and this means I've tapped out a 2nd Dan - woo hoo!)
    No natural ability, no skills, no conditioning, no hope...no quitting

Tez

Smiler, congrats and well done on your 2nd Dan! I know that would have taken a lot of work! Was it the Kime No kata you did? Mick has taught me bits of that. He'll be chuffed for you too.

Really well done Smiler - this thread is doing good stuff for the judo intriguists on here

Fantastic work smiler...second dan black belt is a great achievement

great achievement completing a line up after only just getting back into judo!

Congrats!

Tom Miller, marines, around 73kg.
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Thai Boxing in Farnborough
    Full time academy!
    http://www.andyrobertsbjj.com

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Thanks guys!

Sandy got his next belt up too - green I think?

Andy, Tom Miller is one talented fighter! Nice guy too! He told me this morning he'd got in touch with you yesterday...and yep, told me to get my butt over to your too! Fridays are usually a bit tight, but I hope to make at least one Tuesday before Xmas...

Just back from the morning skills session, but it was still hard work! It was designed to flood the system through and give the competitors for tomorrow a chance to practice 'their' moves. Jim Bradbury took it again, and it was a really good session - I always like it when I see new ways of doing things, new training methods etc, and getting 10 uchi komis off everyone as part of a circle drill was great as it gave me a chance to feel where I was making mistakes by how good they did bits...

Overall it was a fantastic course for me, topped obviously by getting my 2nd dan (a big v's up to the forum members who've said I can't grapple, lol, when I just haven't had to yet!), but best of all was seeing how everyone gelled together so well as the week went on. First day no-one really knew anyone, but by today there are some good friends, great contacts, and the whole place was one team.

So a big thankyou to Cpt Phil McGregor for the invite, and of course the entire coaching team, and everyone who trained as they made it not just technically incredibly good, but also fun too!

Smiler

sounds awesome, it would be good to have you down training one week.
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Thai Boxing in Farnborough
    Full time academy!
    http://www.andyrobertsbjj.com

Smiler

When you ever up in Birmingham go and check out the 3K's Judo its has loads of the British team training there and Bill the main coach is highly merited by the BJA defintely worth checking out.

There are mixture of weights a lot of 100+ kilo guys there as well
    Birmingham Wrestling
    www.caged-steel.com