Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: British Army Judo Team

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Ah, they're the guys coming in on Wednesday then! That explains why Cpl Challis took the session...

Looking forward to having a tumble with them, it will be a lovely benchmark for me and give me the info I need to improve!

Nice results too....my friend Michelle Holt picked up a bronze too...

Smiler

Michelle fought hard

I have trained with Simon Childs many times and knew nothing of his military career!
    A top bloke who has beautiful tachi-waza.

Tez

Is Sandy Geddes there too?

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

That was a class morning!

Tachiwaza...some nice take down work off leg grabs, interactive throw to counter to throw work...and some fun randori! My throws are coming back, including my 'trademark' makikomi...

Big Ian is here, 160kg, and everyone's like uh oh, and I'm like so what, I train with that weight 3x per week! It was real fun!! I threw him a few times too, until he got a dominant grip....glad I can still breakfall lol!!

Newaza this afternoon, so I've nipped home for a 4egg scamble on toast and some fluid, a quick shower, and my suit is tumbling round drying so its not cold and wet for the next session...my new gi's aren't coming until Thursday, doh!

Everyone is getting friendlier and friendlier, theres a lovely work ethic, everyone helpful, and very constructive too. Even though there were alot of cramps yesterday - I was cramping all through my kickboxing sessions last night!

I'll probably cramp through my kickboxing session tonight too...

Further update later...

Smiler

great thread keep them coming smiler!

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Hi!

Phew! That was hard work! A great afternoon session, newaza orientated, some lovely technical work, which also happily works with no-gi as well. A huge lad of 160kg from Sheffield was down today for training, and it was good fun working with Ian for bits of the session.

Mind you, I have an answer for alot of my critics who claim I have no ground game! The entire mat of about 60 players came out and paired off. Laid down, North South on backs, heads and feet on floor. 30seconds to gain the top position, whoever was in the top position at the end of the 30seconds won, and stayed on. The loser got a rest lol! Well, I worked through the field, and, er....won the little competition! I was pleased that my conditioning and concentration carried me through, and I had the skills to carry it through.

Mind you, I obviously did far more work than most, and we then had a zig zag of crashmat throwing to get through, and nearly died when I had to do shuttle runs and throws between them with Big Ian sitting on my back - thank God I do some of that work with Tiny, or I wouldn't be able to complete the session!

It was alot of fun, the military boys have great humour, and great work ethics, hate losing but are really respectfull and enthusiastic, and I've picked up some really great tips and improved loads from today.

So in 5mins I've got an hours kickboxing training....then first thing tomorrow morning I've a grapple session with Tiny, then I have a meeting for the morning so miss the morning technical session but will be back in tomorrow afternoon for the technical work.

I'm aching soooo bad already though...but really enjoying it and learning loads!

Hey Jeff, the 'Navy lad' from the New Forest says hi! To Pineapple as well! He's having fun and enjoying himself. Got some good words to say about your groundwork too!

Hey Tez, Sandy is here too! He says hi to everyone that knows him on the forum.

Right! Now for the kickboxing...

Smiler

"The UK's Lyoto Machida - Hit and Run, Baby" widge milward's Avatar

Smiler, tell Sandy he's a Cunt!
    You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get

Team Colosseum

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

I'll say hello, but can't call him that lol!!!

He's training hard - they all are!

I am so tired I nearly fell over kickboxing, just nothing there in my body at all...depleted...so I'm gonna stuff my face with fish and chips tonight to carb and protein and energy up...

Smiler

Eat all you want - it won't save you tomorrow!
    No natural ability, no skills, no conditioning, no hope...no quitting