Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: British Army Judo Team

Basking in the sun...

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Hi Tez! Sandy says Hi and hopes you are well! Trained a bit with him this afternoon, said lots of good stuff about you!

Update...

Phew! Had a meeting this morning, so missed 1.5hrs technical work, but did my grappling session first thing as above to make up for it. Yeah, and I got owned lol!

But it did me some good, got my body working and pumped a bit of blood round my system to help me recover...for this afternoon...

Jim Bradley took a technical session, which went on for about 3hours, some really good intricate stuff, simple but clever, and then it got harder and harder and ended with a really good humoured 'light' randori session. One thing I love about the military is that the harder it gets the more they laugh! Right up my street!

I actually think that light randori is more knackering than hard for me, as you move more, try more, bounce off the mat more...flowing with your partner alot more.

I'm also pleased I'm not the only one with some bad muscle fatigue. It doesn't matter how fit you are, if you give it your all in training, you'll end up suffering in the end!

Worse thing was in the middle of the session there was a break for a photo of everyone all lined up on benches and stuff. I'll post it when I get a copy so you can see who's there. About 75% of the people who are on the course were in it. The worst thing about it was you cooled and stiffened quickly...and in the photos quite a few of us are cramping...

Funny thing in the photo, there were three black lads in the back row. I thought, thats not PC, when a shout went out for the black lads to move from the back row to the centre or front row. I thought segregation in this day and age? But then Jim realised there were a few puzzled and questioning faces, and he explained quite quickly he wasn't being racist or segragationalist, that the background was black and if they stood at the back they wouldn't be seen! White suits are a much better background for black faces lol!

So there's a light technical session tomorrow morning that I will miss, and then in the afternoon its in for some competition work. Rock on! I'm loving this!

Smiler

Tez

Sounds like a cracking course! Please give my love to Sandy, tell him not to come back this time with any injuries!
    We get a fair few soldiers who are fit coming into the club and they all go out knackered saying they didn't realise grappling was so exhausting! The military sense of humour is an acquired taste lol make me laugh though.

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

I will do!

He's all ok at the moment!

There's a few people starting to suffer from injuries...they've done well to get three day's completed with the volume of work at this level. I was chatting with a couple of fellow judo and ju-jitsu internationals last night and we all agree that judo is the toughest on the body out of all the sports we do. Grappling IS hard, lol!

But thats why we love it so much!

Where would the fun be if it was easy, lol!

The humour is right up my street...what is it the Marines say? Humour in the face of adversity? Too true...

Smiler

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Hi!

I'm really aching now...doing the same sport every day for several hours without mixing up (periodising) your training a bit (well, when you aren't used to training like this!) really knackers you out lol!

Back in in an hour for competition and grading work...so this afternoon it gets tough...just the thing all our aching and fatiged bodies need lol!

Still finding out more and more about the people I'm training with...one of the heavyweights taught Mark Epstein Sombo for a while!

Further blog style update later!

Smiler

well done for the line out win smiler.
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Thai Boxing in Farnborough
    Full time academy!
    http://www.andyrobertsbjj.com

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Hi!

Wahay!

Guess what?

I just did a grading!

The hardest way to get an improvement is by a line up...and when your opponents are military who never give up, it makes it a wee bit harder lol!

All my opponents were my weight, fortunately for me (lol) not the three international players in the weight below me, but good experienced players non-the-less. I got through my first two fights by 10 points and that made me eligable for the line up. So we have the three fights one after another no breaks, all of which you have to win by full points.

Jim Bradbury tells me to finish the first two fights quick, then take my time to make sure I get the last one right. So a quick take down and hold and thats the first one out the way, then an ippon throw, then I've got my nemesis - the squat, heavy, intelligent Lancashire lad Sean the Sheep, who had just completed his points to get his 2nd dan. He's 'canny', low and squat, and a brilliant spoiler. I couldn't get the bugger to stay on the ground, or even most of the time onto the ground! I couldn't throw him, and he was spoiling nicely...I tried every trick in the book, but he knew I wanted him on the ground to finish it....and he wasn't making any mistakes...tapping away to keep busy and not get done for passivity...so I tried to sucker him...and he wouldn't bite...but then I made a mistake and he went for it...and luckily it was an attack for which I have my favourite counter! Automatically I collected his leg and spun him over - I'd done it! Three maximum point wins!

Yippee! The fighting part was complete - and in the hardest way to do it too!

Then a trip down memory lane to do the theory, the katas and technical work, the terminology etc...and my licence is off to the BJA records department to get signed off as 2nd Dan black!

Wow!

That feels good to say it...2nd Dan...there I go again...cool...

One more morning's training and the week is over. Its a nice close down tomorrow, nothing too strenuous as the teams are fighting at the weekend for the combined services championships...a good closure on the week.

So now I'm going to shower up and get some food...meatballs and spagetti I think...and they are good meatballs too, I get my butcher to make them specially for me as I love his balls so much lol!!!!

Later!

Yippee!

Oh! Tez! I'll catch up with Sandy tomorrow morning and let you know how he got on...he was winning away in the kyu grades when I was watching from the other mat...

Smiler

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Lol - GBUK how did you know?

i know everything
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Thai Boxing in Farnborough
    Full time academy!
    http://www.andyrobertsbjj.com