Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: passing closed guard

Quote Originally Posted by wagon View Post
    any good instructionals on passing (breaking) closed guard (Gi or no Gi)?

cheers
    Get Pedro to show when the lucky git is back from Brazil! he's got some excellent passes he's shown us in classes.

My personal favourite is the one where you get your arms through the legs and then hook them underneath so you lift them up and then take side mount.

"The UK's Lyoto Machida - Hit and Run, Baby" widge milward's Avatar

where you get your arms through the legs and then hook them underneath
    In MMA????????
    You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get

Team Colosseum

i like michael jen's stuff as did i like joe moriera's stuff.

the one that topped the lot though, imo, was matt thornton's stuff from his spring camp. the five point passing stuff is awesome
    Strategy can subsitute for talent, but talent will never subsitute for strategy.

"Sometimes hype just isn't enough" Jens Pulver

Warley Rugby club Tat bank rd oldbury Birmingham B69 4NH

Quote Originally Posted by wagon View Post
    who said I'll be paying for anything!!! The wonders of broadband (And wonderfull sites that may or may not exist)
    Thats stealing LOL

For what to do when in his closed guard. ie good postures to avoid his submissions/sweeps/punches, then I would recommend the Straight Blast Gym seminar tape that covers the safety position/5 point passing game. No idea which DVD it is on, sorry.
    Summary, keep him flat on his back with your head pressing down on his sternum. Keep your weight low and centred to avoid the sweeps. Control his arms with yours(tip not on video, palms on biceps works much better if you are a shortarse). Knee up his arse, get posture, press down on legs.

From there, there are a number of good DVDs on passing. The Michael Jen ones are very thorough. Not tried them with strikes involved, but for grappling they work very well

Quote Originally Posted by widge milward View Post
    In MMA????????
    Under passes can work in mma.

OUTCOLDFIGHTCLUB.ORG

i find this a real pain as well (passing guard) application of pain to open one side up seems to be a good way if quickly and with the element of surprise, but i know there are much more techniques out there.

passing guard is more than technique. ITs scarmbling, hip switching etc.. Sometimes switching the hips or just squatting down will get you very far..

OUTCOLDFIGHTCLUB.ORG

yeah i knoiw mate, not that im any expert. just so many possible techniques for any given situation that may or may not work.

TMAS MMA CLUB

Hello mate its Lee Dickson, you need to personally find out what guard passes suit you, different techniques suit different body types etc, no instructor no matter how good he is can tell you whats the best way, he ll tell you to adapt your own style.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTCOLDFIGHTCLUB.ORG View Post
    yeah i knoiw mate, not that im any expert. just so many possible techniques for any given situation that may or may not work.