Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Junior Mma Fighter Wanted For Cage Gladiators

TMAS MMA CLUB

I have said my piece on it, they are fighting on a well organised professional show with referees and doctors cage side, there are no head shots no foot locks and the ref jumps in before any dangerous submission is on, so its no more dangerous than kids competing in judo and wrestling and definatly safer than kids boxing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dirty dick

a) Adults watching their children fight for purely entertainment of others

c) how safe will their children be? "There is a referee in there" does not cut the mustard.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_langford View Post
    Do these not apply to other combat sports?
    No they dont is the short answer. in relation to point a) Kids that play football/ rugby for instance normally only parents go watching, Kids that do combat sports judo / wrestling again normally only parents / family. - This is a mma event with the intention to make a profit on ticket sales, meaning that members of the public would be more inclined to go than if it was a junior ONLY event.

In relation to point c) MMA has a unique point of being able to ko, armlock, leglock, strangle UNCONCIOUS etc etc. Therefore if a well versed young person was able to "snap on" an armlock potentially a referee could be too slow in intervening (Weve all seen it before) If i were a referee in that match i would be very trigger happy in relation to stopping a contest which is not fair to the competitors
    Last edited by dirty dick; 08-01-2008 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TMAS MMA CLUB View Post
    I have said my piece on it, they are fighting on a well organised professional show with referees and doctors cage side, there are no head shots no foot locks and the ref jumps in before any dangerous submission is on, so its no more dangerous than kids competing in judo and wrestling and definatly safer than kids boxing.
    Kids dont do submissions in either judo or wrestling. For the interest of debate please dont make a point & then when challenged, back away
    Last edited by dirty dick; 08-01-2008 at 07:41 PM.

TMAS MMA CLUB

Ye but a kid can easily break an arm , leg or dislocate a shoulder by being thrown or taking down.

steve_langford

Quote Originally Posted by dirty dick View Post
    No they dont is the short answer. in relation to point a) Kids that play football/ rugby for instance normally only parents go watching, Kids that do combat sports judo / wrestling again normally only parents / family. - This is a mma event with the intention to make a profit on ticket sales, meaning that members of the public would be more inclined to go than if it was a junior ONLY event.

In relation to point c) MMA has a unique point of being able to ko, armlock, leglock, strangle UNCONCIOUS etc etc. Therefore if a well versed young person was able to "snap on" an armlock potentially a referee could be too slow in intervening (Weve all seen it before) If i were a referee in that match i would be very trigger happy in relation to stopping a contest which is not fair to the competitors
    All good points
    BUT I have friends who have broke collar bones/wrists/fingers/noses and more competing in Judo at a young age.
    Judo is a tough tough sport and im sure very dangerous at a young age? same goes for boxing , its still possible to get Ko'ed with padding.
    All sports can be dangerous but if reffed well and the fighters fight with fair play there shouldnt be a problem.

steve_langford

What if a well versed kid in judo threw someone and broke there neck?

What if a well versed kid in judo threw someone and broke there neck?
    Unfortunately that happened to a friend of mine, he is now paralysed from the head down.
    Fortunately this is one of the freak incidents in judo which research shows to be one of if not the safest contact sport. http://www.judoinfo.com/research11.htm

MMA is a multi-faceted sport which is a big +ve for the sport as an adult but imo a -ve for children and their safety
    Last edited by dirty dick; 08-01-2008 at 07:52 PM.

steve_langford

Unfortunately that happened to a friend of mine, he is now paralysed from the head down.
    Fortunately this is one of the freak incidents in judo which research shows to be one of if not the safest contact sport. (i will try to re-source this)

MMA is a multi-faceted sport which is a big +ve for the sport as an adult but imo a -ve for children and their safety
    The truth is , any sport can be dangerous...

Did you compete as a Kid?
    Did you love the buzz of competition?
    Did you benefit from competing as a child? (in terms of getting experience on the mat/butterflies ect)

If they are looked after it will do them good IMO

yes all sports are dangerous but mma is designed to inflict pain on your opponent and the sole purpose is to win by KO, injury or submission which is designed for pain, so football injury will only happen through accident or in the rare instance of intent to injury. in mma the objective is to injure

The truth is , any sport can be dangerous...

Did you compete as a Kid?
    Did you love the buzz of competition?
    Did you benefit from competing as a child? (in terms of getting experience on the mat/butterflies ect)

If they are looked after it will do them good IMO
    Yes, Yes & Yes. However, did i compete in front of 500+ people ? No Would i be able to manage the pressure of 500+ people wanting me to either ko another kid or be ko'd myself? How would i feel about myself if i lost infront of all those people?
    Would i go away win an over inflated sense of self (as a teenager if i won)?

MMA presents more dangers than most sports, look how the early Cage Gladiator events were promoted & then a few years on it is safe for kids to do?

I would like some responses in relation to the legal aspects though