Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Junior Mma Fighter Wanted For Cage Gladiators

steve_langford

Quote Originally Posted by CAGE GLADIATOR View Post
    I Do Not Run A Caged Cock Fighting Event, The Local Media Who Support My Show And The Sport Know That.otherwise They Wouldnt Be Giving Me An Mma Talk Show On A New Major Talk Radio Station.or Be Covering Junior Fighters In The Press.
    Junior Contests Are Amateur Rules(no Head Shots, Heel Locks Etc), Giving Highly Talented Mma Stars Of The Future Valuable "big Crowd Experience At An Early Age".

I Believe The Injury Risk Are The Same As Any Physical Sport Never Mind Combat Sports.

Cage Gladiators(other Shows Have Done It For Some Time) Have Included Some Junior Bouts Not For Financial Gain But To Nurture Local Future Talent.

Wolfslair And Next Generation Have Some Serious Young Talent, This Just Emphasises The Strength Of Future And Present Liverpool Mma.

I Appreciate Peoples Concearns But There Are Some Really Ignorant Posts In This Thread.
    Thats great news!

And yes there are some ignorant posts on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by CAGE GLADIATOR View Post
    I Do Not Run A Caged Cock Fighting Event, The Local Media Who Support My Show And The Sport Know That.otherwise They Wouldnt Be Giving Me An Mma Talk Show On A New Major Talk Radio Station.or Be Covering Junior Fighters In The Press.

Junior Contests Are Amateur Rules(no Head Shots, Heel Locks Etc), Giving Highly Talented Mma Stars Of The Future Valuable "big Crowd Experience At An Early Age".

I Believe The Injury Risk Are The Same As Any Physical Sport Never Mind Combat Sports.

Cage Gladiators(other Shows Have Done It For Some Time) Have Included Some Junior Bouts Not For Financial Gain But To Nurture Local Future Talent.

Wolfslair And Next Generation Have Some Serious Young Talent, This Just Emphasises The Strength Of Future And Present Liverpool Mma.

I Appreciate Peoples Concearns But There Are Some Really Ignorant Posts In This Thread.
    i'm assuming by ignorant you mean me? Please state if otherwise.

I don't feel any mma event is human cockfighting - (having previous prolevel experience back in the day).

Yet when you mention ignorance you talk about the press & radio, have you consulted with the local area safeguarding comittee?
    As a children and families social worker - kids fighting on an event concerns me

steve_langford

Quote Originally Posted by dirty dick View Post
    i'm assuming by ignorant you mean me? Please state if otherwise.

I don't feel any mma event is human cockfighting - (having previous prolevel experience back in the day).
    Yet when you mention ignorance you talk about the press & radio, have you consulted with the local area safeguarding comittee?
    Not you .............nimmy's previous post's were shite!

Atleast you give a good debate and back things up lol

what events did you fight on? and when?

I'm not saying you run a human cock fight chris, just that there are some who may jump on you for having kids fight in a cage. That is my concern.

I'm afraid that I just don't think kids fighting on a pro MMA show is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_langford View Post

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...FighterID=3681

steve_langford

Good stuff!

What were the rules with the 2 draws? (in terms of time-limits) distance=draw?

Good stuff!

What were the rules with the 2 draws? (in terms of time-limits) distance=draw?
    3 x 5mins - No Judges decision.

I thought Iíd chip in at this point as the parent of a fighter who started MMA training at 13, kicked off his Amateur MMA career with his first Ďeventí fight at 15, and now just turned 17 is four fights in with another two lined up over the next couple of months.

I do think that junior contests at events are a good opportunity and a valuable learning experience for youngsters. However, I do believe that they need to have some level of experience and had a good training regime prior to a well assessed match up.

Personally Iíve never had a problem with my son training or competing in MMA, itís want he really wants to do and to say he enjoys it is an understatement. Both his Mother (a senior social worker!) and I wholeheartedly support him in his ambition to make it in the sport. We are grateful to and confident that the trainers at his club have and continue to do a very professional job regarding all aspects of his chosen Ďcareerí. This latter comment about professionalism is IMHO key to both the mitigation of potential injury scenarios at senior and junior levels during training and events, and also to the success or failure of MMA as a publicly acceptable mainstream sport in the UK.

Over the last few years we have seen an explosion in the number of Ďorganisationsí and Ďlevelí of MMA events taking place in the UK. We have also witnessed many new fighters getting involved in the sport. Some more cynical than I may see many of these new organisations as bandwagon jumpers financially feeding on fighters desires to compete, they may also perceive that some organisations may not have the fighters interest at heart when it comes to insurance and purses.

Although Iíve been happy with the organisations and events my son has fought at so far I am becoming concerned about the rapid development of MMA in the UK. As an outsider one gets the impression that the MMA fight scene in the UK is becoming akin to the wild-west frontier of old.

I think it is right to start asking questions about insurance, rules (which I have seen vary at different events), fighter welfare, and about standards in the sport generally. Hopefully these sorts of questions will be answered because itís in the sports and promoters own interest to do so.

Iíll end on a question, where can the public, press and those who want to get involved in MMA seek out information about how well the sport is run? The answer should literally fit on the back of a stamp, nowhere. Like it or loath it the sport needs some form of umbrella organisation to field its interests, promote good practice and give it credibility in the face of continuing public criticism.

Paul (an interested partial outsider who is now off to put on a flame suit)

why were my points shite, just because you couldnt beat my points

Dave Jackson
    Wolfslair Coach

I think this needs to be put in perspective. These lads are fighting under good supervision wearing shin guards with no head contact allowed and if a submission is on then they tap out before injury occurs and they are experienced enough to know when to tap.

Here in the Uk we already have School Boy Boxing which allows full contact blows to the head and we have Junior Kick Boxing with both Punches and Kicks allowed to the head and have no issues with the safety of these events. In fact there are Junior Olympics for boxing.

Junior Muay Thai is similar to the MMA were head contact is not allowed and leg protection is worn and there are many hundreds of events going on every year.

My personal experience comes from Muay Thai and over the last 20+ years we have seen the junior ranks produce most of the top fighters of today. Probably the UK`s best Muay Thai fighter at present is Liam Harrison from Leeds who had many bouts as a junior and at the age of 14 was fighting adults on adult shows and winning easily.

I currently have a lad "Kamen" who is aged 13. Two weeks ago he won his 2nd fight in Thailand under "Full rules", his first one was last year aged 12. This was only possible due to him gaining experience as a junior from the age of 6 until today. There are many lads this age from the Uk`s top Thai gyms fighting out in Thailand under "Full Rules" with no protection that are not getting hurt due to their vast experiences as UK juniors.

These lads are being looked after by pro coaches and aren`t exactly lambs to the slaughter. They are doing it because they want to and are good enough to.

Kamen in Thailand December 2006