Thread: Hangovers and liver function effectiveness

Default Hangovers and liver function effectiveness

Some of my friends get really quite severe hangovers while generally mine aren't so bad. For example went out last night for a night and my flatmates stayed in bed until early afternoon. I was up and about just before 10am feeling pretty much fine.

I don't drink nearly as much as I used to and I thought I might lose my ability to take a good drink, etc, however this shows me that I could-I drank more than my other three respective housemates...sorry I know this kind of talk is quite boring and I'd normally never make such a statement as something to boast about.

Anyway my friend that gets really bad hangovers was told this is a good thing as it means he has an effective liver by a qualified person working in healthcare profession.

Now I am really interested to know what people think to this-can anyone confirm this?

To me it sounds a bit weird-if anything I'd have thought if you can drink a lot and not get a hangover it would mean you have a good liver.

Also I ran for an hour just before heading out-this didn't seem to make any difference really.

Im 28 so its not like Im some sprightly kid with a totally fresh body!

Thanks in advance for you thoughts here.

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Watch out for those liver shots!!!!

Smiler

surely that advice is wrong??

I honestly believe that if you go out on the piss and dont eat late on that night you will recover alot faster cos the alcohol isnt absorbed and kept in your body by the food

also anyone who eats kebabs is loads more likely to suffer as the bacteria in that shit is minging !!!

Also drink at least a litre of water b4 bed and alcohol will be on its way out of your body !!!!

I dont think anyone really knows there's evidence for both - but hangovers have nothing to do with a better liver just reflects peoples natural variation - this is the one im more convinved by and was taught is the way it work -

The enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase, converts ethanol into acetaldehyde (v.toxic). But before this destroys everything a second enzyme called aldehyde dehydrogenase turns the acetaldehyde into plain old acetic acid.

This is then drained out of the liver and ends up on the bathroom floor as piss

I was always led to believe that a hangover is due to a bottleneck of acetaldehyde waiting to be turned to vinegar this leads to the pukin and banging head.

This is the basis for the alcoholic medcine Antabuse, this blocks aldehyde dehydrogenase, therefore acetaldehyde starts bottlenecking straight away leading to the worlds worst hangover so the alcoholic stops drinking!

So no its not a sign of havong a good liver - nor is it a bad one though.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Cheets View Post
    I dont think anyone really knows there's evidence for both - but hangovers have nothing to do with a better liver just reflects peoples natural variation - this is the one im more convinved by and was taught is the way it work -

The enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase, converts ethanol into acetaldehyde (v.toxic). But before this destroys everything a second enzyme called aldehyde dehydrogenase turns the acetaldehyde into plain old acetic acid.

This is then drained out of the liver and ends up on the bathroom floor as piss

I was always led to believe that a hangover is due to a bottleneck of acetaldehyde waiting to be turned to vinegar this leads to the pukin and banging head.

This is the basis for the alcoholic medcine Antabuse, this blocks aldehyde dehydrogenase, therefore acetaldehyde starts bottlenecking straight away leading to the worlds worst hangover so the alcoholic stops drinking!

So no its not a sign of havong a good liver - nor is it a bad one though.

Hope this helps
    Thank you for your advise-most interesting. I thought my mates advice didn't sound quite right. I also thought this would be an interesting debate for people!

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Cheets View Post

Interesting theory... as someone with a dodgy variant of the aldehyde dehydrogenase gene, however, i'd suggest that (at least in my experience) the symptoms of acetaldehyde build up are a bit different from the symptoms most people seem to experience as a hangover.

I've never had a hangover type headache from alcohol... typically, i just turn bright pink, start feeling sick and dizzy and then pass out. No hangover the next day (usually i don't manage to consume that much though before i'm unconscious). Could be that i'm just odd though

I was always more convinced by the dehydration theory.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Its not his cup you can feel.... Mike Bishop's Avatar

I also wonder how much is down to chemicals in the alcohol because I've noticed a significant difference when I drink organic wines and beers