Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Age

Tez

Boxingbrit luv ya!
    In karate and kickboxing there's headshots at a very early age, it may be supposed to be points scoring or semi contact but young children only have one speed when sparring..full steam ahead! What I would think of as suitable for children is strictly no head shots at all, proper supervision, shin pads etc.
    You can walk into any sportscentre where theres a TMA class and see kids sparring away punching each other, I've seen 10yr olds sent flyng by headkicks before now and no one thinks anything of it so it would be nice to get acceptance for MMA in the same way.
    How many people here teach/train children?

We were training kids, or at least 1 kid and I tell ya..there's nothing like the snap of a small childs limb when you're armbarring them ...haaaaah no serious, Im surprised at the advancedment this kid went through after a year training with us... thign is. Kids have potential. Get 'em in in the comp.

Tez

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    We were training kids, or at least 1 kid and I tell ya..there's nothing like the snap of a small childs limb when you're armbarring them ...haaaaah no serious, Im surprised at the advancedment this kid went through after a year training with us... thign is. Kids have potential. Get 'em in in the comp.

It's even better when they break your arm lol!

Handled right ( if that's a phrase I can use lol) a kids programme would be very good for the sport, good publicity and very good for the future when the 'young' fighters we have now are old... in a year or two rofl!

I have very mixed feelings in relation to kids & MMA, but my feelings come about on 2 different levels.
    Firstly i think a youth competition isn't a bad idea. It gives kids a chance to be competitive and gain experience for coming into adulthood. I would encourage any event to be well refereed and possibly have 1 x 3 minute round with the rules being no head shots on the ground and submission points awarded for position of the submission but not necessarily applied (not automatically ending match). However, i strongly agree with Leigh - kids can compete in wrestling, judo, thai, boxing etc at a higher level which would advance their skills.
    The Main reason i am against kids in MMA as outlined lengthily in another thread is the lack of policy proceedure, knowledge and awareness in relation to Child Protection. No statutory CRB for coaches, No compulsory CP awareness training for coaches. Until these items are mandatory - and they wont be due to no governing body! Then i personally would not allow my children (if i had them) to attend MMA classes. IMO mma would be a great sport to get into if you were a potential paedophile wishing to have unregulated access to children.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty dick View Post
    The Main reason i am against kids in MMA as outlined lengthily in another thread is the lack of policy proceedure, knowledge and awareness in relation to Child Protection. No statutory CRB for coaches, No compulsory CP awareness training for coaches. Until these items are mandatory - and they wont be due to no governing body! Then i personally would not allow my children (if i had them) to attend MMA classes. IMO mma would be a great sport to get into if you were a potential paedophile wishing to have unregulated access to children.
    This isn't strictly true. These days the majority of people are aware of the issues & risks surrounding children. If only for their own protection & as a reassurance for the parents, the majority of coaches that run childrens classes have done the courses (I think). At least the coaches I know that teach childrens classes have. Personally i've attended the 'child protection' courses, i'm a qualified first aider & i have an enhanced CRB certificate. Maybe i should become a coach

I think it's ok for 7 year olds to compete but only at interclub level. No headshots & when it goes to the ground, no submission just going for the pin.

I would like to think this is the case, however i fear greatly that it is not. The reasons you give i wholly concur with, however i feel that many coaches haven't invested in accessing a CP course (many i guess havent thought about it or know where to access them unless affiliated to a TMA NGB)

Tez

Good points from everyone. The children we teach do TMA's, Tang Soo Do and Judo and spar in each separately, the club instructors are insured and CRB checked plus we have Public Liability insurance. I can see the problems from an MMA point of view, the courses (coaching,reffing, CP etc) we have available to us are though the TMA organisations while as has been said, there's no equivalent in MMA.
    The thing we have, with one in particular, is that the children very much want to do it all in one. We don't let them at the moment but while I'm not sure about actual 'MMA' classes for children it would be good to get more young people, teenagers into MMA. We have no problem getting children into classes it's keeping them once they hit their teens and find other interests as the hormones kick in!
    The one child we have who really wants to be a fighter is 7 and is extremely talented, he's going for leg and ankle locks, chokes etc that he hasn't been taught yet but seems to know instinctively. There's no other children who are at his standard and he's frustrated bless him. However we're extremely protective of him and if he sticks to it he won't be fighting in MMA for a long while yet but when he is watch out lol!

We teach a kids MMA class once a week ages range from 7 onwards all padded up and no head contact and they absolutely love it.

Talking

I have seen Under,16'S Taking part at a BJJ comp.
    If kids are happy to fight Why not. You could Shorten round times....
    Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    If kids are happy to fight Why not.
    Are you serious? Do you believe children should be allowed to do whatever they are happy to?
    www.vtjiujitsu.co.uk - Part of the Bristol Alliance

Wiltshire's Strongest Person 2008

House of Pain Bantamweight British Champion

Rally driver extraordinaire!