Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Age

Quote Originally Posted by Rosi View Post
    To those people who still think MMA is barbaric and should be banned (and yes, there are still plenty of them out there), it is much easier to argue the case for consenting adults taking part than it is for juniors. As soon as you have under 18s doing pro rules MMA, especially with G&P, it raises a whole bunch of issues in many people's minds.

I know that there have been events that have successfully incorporated under 18s, and good luck to them. I'm sure they've looked into the insurance and legal implications. It's not something I'd personally advocate though. I can see the arguments for and against.

As I said before, what's the hurry? There are a whole bunch of things that go along with fighting which just aren't particularly healthy for anyone, especially not someone who's body and brain are still developing (weight cutting, for example). At 15, there are enough stresses on your body already without adding those of pro MMA. Take your time, learn the skills, do grappling competitions, wrestling, kickboxing. Concentrate on laying good foundations rather than jumping straight in at the deep end.

Just my opinion, of course, but that's the advice I'd give someone.
    good advice and i understand the G&P thing now when my mum came in when i was watchin mma on tv and when someone was G&Ping was like thats disgusting why do you wana do that. so thanks pal.

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

i think that if a 7 year old kid has his mind set on fighting and knows the dangers and still wants to do it let him go for it, it will keep him out of trouble in the future and teach him discipline but i do think no headshots until atleast 16.
    I've no problem with kids training, or doing limited rules competitions (I think at least in the current situation though, they'd probably be better off doing another combat sport - judo, wrestling, BJJ etc. - if only because more kids do it and the standard of competition will be higher)

Aside from the headshots, my only other issue would be joint locks / submissions - they're not good for developing joints. Judo leave them out for juniors for a reason. I don't think it's impossible to include submissions, but you'd have to allow the referee to step in and stop the match if one fighter clearly had a submission on without necessarily waiting for the other to tap.

I don't know enough about the medical side of it to argue one way or the other for 16 or 18 on the headshots. I'm not sure that's something you'll get a straight answer on from anyone though, so it's understandable if people tend to err on the side of caution.

Life always seems unfair when you're a teenager and people tell you you can't do something until you're older. Two years seems like forever, but it really isn't.

Lol... I can just see myself having this conversation with someone in a few years time...
    Last edited by Rosi; 26-10-2008 at 10:18 AM.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Quote Originally Posted by Rosi View Post
    I've no problem with kids training, or doing limited rules competitions (I think at least in the current situation though, they'd probably be better off doing another combat sport - judo, wrestling, BJJ etc. - if only because more kids do it and the standard of competition will be higher)

Aside from the headshots, my only other issue would be joint locks / submissions - they're not good for developing joints. Judo leave them out for juniors for a reason. I don't think it's impossible to include submissions, but you'd have to allow the referee to step in and stop the match if one fighter clearly had a submission on without necessarily waiting for the other to tap.

I don't know enough about the medical side of it to argue one way or the other for 16 or 18 on the headshots. I'm not sure that's something you'll get a straight answer on from anyone though, so it's understandable if people tend to err on the side of caution.

Life always seems unfair when you're a teenager and people tell you you can't do something until you're older. Two years seems like forever, but it really isn't.

Lol... I can just see myself having this conversation with someone in a few years time...
    that was a very good explanation and i agree with you on the joint locks and subs issue i have also realised that there isn't a definate answer to what age and rules should be used so its just personal preference and at the parents and clubs disgression.