Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VT Jiu Jitsu Grappling Competition April 5th

Hi scotty_82

Thanks for the feedback. I understand your issue but 10-15 quid is actually quite cheap for a grappling competition. What do you think would be an acceptable price?

Do you have any alternative rules you would like us to use? If so, please let us know and maybe we can start to incorporate them into future events

It can be difficult to ascertain context on the internet, so I want to clarify that my comments are genuine and not sarcastic. I would be very interested in rules that reward submission attempts and how to score them but I find that they can often be very subjective - an arm around the neck does not necessarily mean a choke is imminent

I personally guarantee you more than one roll if you compete - I'm happy to roll with anyone
    www.vtjiujitsu.co.uk - Part of the Bristol Alliance

Wiltshire's Strongest Person 2008

House of Pain Bantamweight British Champion

Rally driver extraordinaire!

I paid 20.00 for the WUMA one, no one in my weight class turned up so they threw me in against heavyweights (over 90KG)... I can guarentee you Leigh and Serena will give you value for money in terms of match ups and experience gained

Leigh,

i know that the comment wasnt directed toward me but...

how about rewarding the 'win' by submission only and with no sub over a certain time frame (e.g 5mins) be called a 'draw' or extra time if needs be??

This will force competitors to actively seek the submission and not simply stall in position and hense grinding out the boring win...The result will be people taking chances to finish..

This will help rasie the entertainment value of the roll quite signifiantly for everyone there including spectators or people who have been eliminated..

Thanks Aplin,

I can tell you we definitely have at least one person in every catagory so no-one will end up stuck in a heavyweight catagory unless they belong there lol There has been a great response to this comp, I'm really happy with it so far.
    http://www.SASPromotions.co.uk The No1. Submission Event in the UK!!!

I am gutted I will be in sunny Thailand whilst this competition is on... well... gutted is perhaps the wrong word... I wish I could compete... any chance of you moving the venue to Koh Samui?

wrong thread
    Last edited by dirty dick; 17-03-2008 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Hi scotty_82

Thanks for the feedback. I understand your issue but 10-15 quid is actually quite cheap for a grappling competition. What do you think would be an acceptable price?

Do you have any alternative rules you would like us to use? If so, please let us know and maybe we can start to incorporate them into future events

It can be difficult to ascertain context on the internet, so I want to clarify that my comments are genuine and not sarcastic. I would be very interested in rules that reward submission attempts and how to score them but I find that they can often be very subjective - an arm around the neck does not necessarily mean a choke is imminent

I personally guarantee you more than one roll if you compete - I'm happy to roll with anyone
    10-15 quid for just the possibility one one roll is expensive in my eyes , others will disagree , again its personal opinion, plus im taking into account travelling costs etc.

If ( numbers depending ) it was a round robin event where you know you have the chance of at a min 3 rolls then by no way is it expensive .

As someone else said make it more rewarding for the people who are actively trying to finish the roll, not in the favor of those just wanting to move round position without any want or need to go for a submission attempt.

TMAS MMA CLUB

Its up to the other fighter to learn to get out of dominant positions then imo, there s more to grappling than submissions i think.

ttt..........
    http://www.SASPromotions.co.uk The No1. Submission Event in the UK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TMAS MMA CLUB View Post
    Its up to the other fighter to learn to get out of dominant positions then imo, there s more to grappling than submissions i think.
    I agree with this. You would end up with loads of draws otherwise. Boxing isn't just about the KO and you score points for boxing well

However, everyone loves a submission and good attempts should be rewarded. Maybe something like points are scored for takedowns, positions and close sub attempts. I know this has been done before

Also, maybe not scoring points for a reversal or takedown if a submission is being attempted (sufficiently). So if player A has mount and goes for an armbar but gets rolled to guard, no points will be scored for the reversal. Similarly, no points for passing guard when an armbar/triangle are being attempted
    www.vtjiujitsu.co.uk - Part of the Bristol Alliance

Wiltshire's Strongest Person 2008

House of Pain Bantamweight British Champion

Rally driver extraordinaire!