Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Started Boxing

caledonianprint

Default Started Boxing

Got a decent knowledge of groundwork and figured that boxing would be the best starting point for working on striking.

opinions?

Yeah I'd say so, wouldnt hurt to do some thai when possible just to get used to working with low kicks etc ...

Talking

boxings good. will get your cardio fitness up really quick and will get your hands and feet working together. one little thing tho' , and if im wrong then please people are welcome to argue: dont get too used to the ducking and bobbing bit, its great in boxing but will get you kicked and knee'd in the snot box in martial arts. not good.

i Agree totally i boxed for yrs in army, got to a good standard awell but my bobbing and weaving got me ko'ed several times when i first started mma.
    Me personally i would recommend muay thai for stand up, it will help bring your feet into play when fighting!!
    WHAT IS COMFORT??....
    COMFORT is an illusion bred from familiar things and familiar places, it weakens the mind ruins the soul and robs the body of spirit and determination

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Boxing over Muay Thai, for MMA. Hands are much more accessable weapon than kicks

If you don't move your head, someone is going to punch it.. simple fact..

Quote Originally Posted by caledonianprint View Post
    Got a decent knowledge of groundwork and figured that boxing would be the best starting point for working on striking.

opinions?
    Yes. Although i would try to get in some Thai as well.

personally...a mixture of both if possible..

funny this should be mentioned as i have a friend who has competed in mma successfully from a boxing background..he then integrated some thai and kickboxing and has now recently decided to return to boxing and train seriously as he feels this is where his best gains, for his personal striking game, came. He aint much of a 'bobber and weaver' but he does have good head movement (inside and outside) and good lateral movement, which maybe some of the reasons that his boxing style is so transferable to mma.

Everyones differant tho...

caledonianprint

thanks guys

great help so far