Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Started Boxing

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Probablem with learning Thai is it will take a while before you can use the kicking skills effectively in MMA. If your kicks aren't great, chances are you will get punched and/or taken down.

It's far easier to get a lower level of boxing to be useful in MMA

Quote Originally Posted by ReD_mIst View Post
    Probablem with learning Thai is it will take a while before you can use the kicking skills effectively in MMA. If your kicks aren't great, chances are you will get punched and/or taken down.

It's far easier to get a lower level of boxing to be useful in MMA
    totaly agree.

kick's are great in mma much like anything else........if you know how.
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

100% agree..

bt theres nothing like eating a low kick..or being shinned long the side of the head!!!

Another point maybe,..... if an individual gets too ryhthmic with traditional boxing punches...he too is open for the takedown..like all martial arts, things need to be tweaked to slot into the wonderful, magical world of mixed martial arts..

What is important if your boxing mainly i think is to get sparring in with good thai guys so you can box with them as they are trying to kick at you. You might not really be thai boxing yourself but you will get experience in bomxing with sparring with somone kicking at you.

some good advice there reedy...u can add in all of ur counters to the 'kicker' and find out how to effectively use ur boxing style without being badly damaged.

I used to get smashed from moving my head too much too
    Nasty knees
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Goodbye fond memories
    FUCK THE ALLIANCE

TMAS MMA CLUB

I have done boxing from early age and all i ll say is don t let them get you standing side on as its no good for takedown defence as ya front leg is to far forward and easy to grab, i still train boxing twice a week but in a more square on stance.

Pro Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by TMAS MMA CLUB View Post
    I have done boxing from early age and all i ll say is don t let them get you standing side on as its no good for takedown defence as ya front leg is to far forward and easy to grab, i still train boxing twice a week but in a more square on stance.
    Good point.

The traditional boxing stance (side on and with weight on the front leg) is riskier than a traditional squarer Muay Thai stance in MMA, as that front leg makes takedowns easier. It's also more fun to kick

I guess what most people are saying is MMA is not boxing and it's not Muay Thai. It's MMA, and whilts some parts of boxing and some parts of Muay Thai will be of use, both will have to be adapted in order to be successful in MMA.

... which is why you need a striking coach that understands MMA.

"The UK's Lyoto Machida - Hit and Run, Baby" widge milward's Avatar

a coach like yourself Master Sensei Kru Chatfield?
    You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get

Team Colosseum

Pro Fighter

I am only a master in Blue Toe Kung Fu.