Thread: Comparative analysis of Ref stoppage in light of Buzz Vs Shamrock

Default Comparative analysis of Ref stoppage in light of Buzz Vs Shamrock

I invite all to watch this vid:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pfc2f...eature=related

at 3:32, butterbean knocks down tengiz.

A harder fall than the shamrock's.

bean then runs at the grounded tengiz and commenced pounding him.

tengiz gives his back and covers his head.

the ref (Grant Waterman) runs to them.

tengiz rolls onto his back spread out, and bean is on top, then the fight continues and tengiz recovers.

Ken got punched down too, but the ref stopped it. I don't think the fight was given the chance to see whether it could have continued. Perhaps ken would have recovered; or perhaps buzz would have finished him off for certain. However, up until that point, there are similarities between the stoppage timing of Buzz Vs Ken and the (lack of) stoppage of Tengiz Vs B'bean.

Perhaps if the fight wasnt stopped so soon then there may have been no arsenal for the conspiracy theorists arm up.

Nevertheless, I am certain the ref did what he believed was in the best interests of the fighters that night.
    Last edited by Ali; 09-03-2008 at 11:53 PM.
    It is enough for evil to flourish when good people do nothing

well Ken didn't complain and if he felt he was still in the fight you would sure see him voice the stoppage e.g the Sakuraba fight
    ICON Jiu Jitsu

The only bars i go to are Arm Bars, Knee Bars and a Mars Bar

kens in it for the $$$$$$$$ now, win or loose he still got the biggest cheque

Talking of ref stopages you are right, and when you compare the slaughter that "THE REF" allowed James Thompson to take off the Bear then that says it all. It was stopped well to soon, like i have said before all too much WWE for me.

How can you fault grant for this? ken hit the deck hard and was clearly out of the fight!!! Any ref would have no choice but to stop it.

I thought Grant had a faultless night, as per usual.
    The artist formally known as OilinDaDrum

Quote Originally Posted by OilinDaDrum View Post
    How can you fault grant for this? ken hit the deck hard and was clearly out of the fight!!! Any ref would have no choice but to stop it.

I thought Grant had a faultless night, as per usual.
    Where were you when they were handing out the brains?

If you refer to my initial post, you will irrefutably find that I said that the Ref acted in what he in his capacity believed to be in the best interest of the fighters. Ergo, I am NOT faulting Grant.

What I was keen to point out was a very similar situation in another fight, with a very different approach to what appears to be a heavier knock down.

I undertake studies in comparing various case judgements, and different countries' legal systems, in finding:
    - ways for improvements
    - Ideas for current legal systems
    - inconsistencies in very similar circumstances.

Therefore, I found an inconsistent 'ruling' in the ref's stoppage; not a 'fault'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    Nevertheless, I am certain the ref did what he believed was in the best interests of the fighters that night.
    for your reference.

I don't want to get into a debate and I always welcome constructive criticism. Take a look at what Tengis does immediatley after he was knocked down to what Mr Shamrock did when he went down. If you then consider the two cases to be the same then you may be a bit confused about what you are looking at.

Thanks.
    'ARE YOU READY!?!'

www.fcfn.co.uk

There is a distinct difference IMO - Tengiz sees Butterbean rushing in and takes action to defend, fight continues. Look at the video of Shamrock again, The Ref runs over in exactly the same way as in the Tengiz fight, and steps in after 2 undefended punches to the head - Shamrock had clearly had enough at that point, his eyes are still spinning as his gumshield is removed! Good reffing on both counts.

Just my 2p

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    I'm not a ref, so know even less; thus, I'd like to leave it at the above quote.