Thread: where can i find amatuer comps?

Hybrid View

Default where can i find amatuer comps?

i seen an amatuer fight the other day and it didnt have headshots, had shin guards too.

looks a bit like a mixture of BJJ and no headshot thai sparring.

i do muay thai and ju jitsu and i think this amatuer matches look fun.

what level abilty do you need? do you need to be in an mma club and where are comps held?

‘Rehearsed routines lack the flexibility to adapt - Simple, Direct & Brutal’

www.grappleandstrike.com
    www.falconsmartialarts.com
    www.taijutsukai.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by General H View Post
    great shows! just had the fylers of your next events sent through my door, will have to pop along to them

You'll thoroughly enjoy it if you do.
    I just fought at G+S Wales, and it was a brilliant day out.
    Great atmosphere, extremely well managed, and some good fights.

(You'd almost think I worked for them by the way I've been pimping them out lately)

yeah, I'd thoroughly recommend Grapple and Strike. Great day out last Sunday. Looking forward to the next one in June. Hoping to compete amateur myself and G and S is the show I'll be looking to get on.

so basically the rules are no head shots at all?

any other special rules and do you have to wear shin guards?

yes mate, no head shots at all. No elbows, no heel hooks, limited use of neck cranks. 1 x 4 minute round. you'll get 2 fights on the day though. shin pads, knee pads and regular mma gloves. good luck if you give it a go. what weight are you?

Quote Originally Posted by shin splints View Post
    yes mate, no head shots at all. No elbows, no heel hooks, limited use of neck cranks. 1 x 4 minute round. you'll get 2 fights on the day though. shin pads, knee pads and regular mma gloves. good luck if you give it a go. what weight are you?
    im thinking for the future maybe within the year id fancy my hand at something like this.

im currently around 190lbs, which is out of shape, my ideal wight would be 170lbs i reckon if i was going for it. therefore id have sent myself a goal.

i dont train MMA at all, iv done muay thai for nearly two years and the same in JJ however my JJ training at many times has been cut short with injuries and work commitments.

id look at this with more of a "could i do it" "it looks like good fun" kindov attitude as opposed to looking with a view of competing competitivly, amatuer rules look ideal for me to give me a taste of it, to be honest id have expected a more pro format to amatuer in terms of moves etc.. seems like the only way you can win the fight is via decision or submission, therefore i think my striking would pretty much be ineffective.

i think id like the oppourtunity to compete in amatuer mma to geta feel for botht he competition factor (seeing how actual mma works kindov) and to see how well or how bad i would do without having the broken cheek bones etc...

thanks for the advice guys, i think we sometimes overlook the amatuer mma scene

great atmosphere on these shows as well, reccomend people to take a look! worth the money