Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The McDojo List

Default The McDojo List

Please list any MMA McDojo's you know of as MMA becomes more and more mainstream there will be no doubt McDojo's will be cropping up all over the place.

Please can we list the McDojo and then reasons why:

1) DTEC MMA

Reasons:

The coach has no qualifications / grades etc (apart from a BJJ Blue Belt which was paid for)

The only coaching he does relates to flipping tyres,medicine ball workouts, Kettle Balls, Bungee Cords etc etc etc he doesnt actually coach anything technical 80% of his sessions are cardio work.

His number one fighter Darren "NINJA" Moore has less that 5 MMA fights (none pro i believe) and the coach at DTEC is trying to push him forward and has contacted the UFC about a possible matchup.

He tried to match one of his niave students whom again had less that 5 MMA fights (none pro) with one of the UK's top Ligh heavy Weights who has fought on all of the top shows.

***** PLEASE AVOID THIS GYM AT ALL COSTS *****
    Last edited by Thunderlips; 14-03-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Ouch..........
    The Bushido MMA Academy

Trying to master Tai Chi BJJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Livo-san View Post
    Ouch..........
    That was exactly what I thought!

TTT for people being aware of this place

Good thread

I am pleased there is an attempt to alert people to the many dodgy mma gyms opening up conning people. We might know better but a noob would have no clue.

I have a question:

How important does anyone think a coaches record is?
    I ask because this club is run by someone with a 0-2 record and another guy who has never fought MMA. It is pretty large although I am aware it is only a uni club

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/ug/marlow/instructors.htm

Please share your views.

I do not mean to insult anyone I would just like to know what the consensu is on an instructor's credibility.

Personally I would prefer to learn from an instructor that has fought and won at preferably a high level in MMA but has at least fought at some level

Kris Leverton is a top guy , is he still teaching there ?

Not all good coaches are good fighters, and vice versa In my opinion they do need previous experience not just a blue belt bought online and a few tyres, medicine balls etc to flog his "students" cardio wise

Quote Originally Posted by madhorsebjj View Post
    Good thread

I am pleased there is an attempt to alert people to the many dodgy mma gyms opening up conning people. We might know better but a noob would have no clue.

I have a question:

How important does anyone think a coaches record is?
    I ask because this club is run by someone with a 0-2 record and another guy who has never fought MMA. It is pretty large although I am aware it is only a uni club

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/ug/marlow/instructors.htm

Please share your views.

I do not mean to insult anyone I would just like to know what the consensu is on an instructor's credibility.

Personally I would prefer to learn from an instructor that has fought and won at preferably a high level in MMA but has at least fought at some level
    I fought kris in our po debeut in 2005.. He is a good guy, and a good fighter.

His other loss is to terry etim.. You cant realy blaim anonyone for losing to etim.

Also i believe he has amateur wins and grappling wins
    Insert whiny message

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Good fighter and good coach can be two seperate thing.

I do believe it is important that a coach has had some fighting experieince though, as it enables them to at leaast talk from experieince about things. However, I don't think it is important that they are an undefeated world champion.... it actually says nothing about their coaching ability

Quote Originally Posted by ReD_mIst View Post
    Good fighter and good coach can be two seperate thing.

I do believe it is important that a coach has had some fighting experieince though, as it enables them to at leaast talk from experieince about things. However, I don't think it is important that they are an undefeated world champion.... it actually says nothing about their coaching ability
    Agreed.
    Have to be careful when 'evaluating' clubs based on the pro record of the instructor as this can be missleading. Some pro fighters have fought easier opponents than others to take easy wins, whereas some will take a loss to top fighters. Records have to be looked at in consideration to the opponents.
    Also, Ive trained with many top fighters over many years and some can be great fighters but not good teachers, vice versa also .

A good teacher not only has to have great depth of knowledge (not just learnt some instructional DVD's...) but has to be able to breakthings down, understand the reasons things are done, be able to see possible counters/counter counters.. transitions, weeknesses/strengths based on individuals styles and so on...

It takes alot more than being a good fighter to be a good instructor.

Not so sure that a mcdojo list would be such a fair thing to do unless there are clubs that are realy crap appearing! HAving said that, I was invited to a new club recently where one of the instructors had no MMA experience, and the other was a basic whitebelt BJJ level and they had been given the go ahead from a big traditional MA org to start teaching MMA. IT was painfully bad.

There is also a place though for clubs that cater for those who dont want to fight, just want to learn something new in martial arts. Who said a mixed martial artist has to compete at pro level? The majority of traditional martial artists are doing it as a hobby.
    Maybe we will see 'fighter' or 'pro' only clubs develope, or just pro only classes.