Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The McDojo List

Engine.
    Pele Nathan HAS trained MMA fighters and he HAS attended MMA shows.
    He had a couple of guys fight (can't remember their names) on Lee Hasdell's 'Night of the Samurai' shows back in the day.

Out of interest who would qualify him to teach MMA?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderlips View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dtecmma

Please feel free to take a look at there video's. They have terrible coaches and are more interested in completing an aerobics class than learn MMA.
    That tyre looks about big enoigh for a BMX bike and the technique on the kettlebell demo was so bad that my eyes began to bleed whilst watching it!

I feel insulted just by watching that!!

Are you sure this is real and not just some guys taking the piss?
    Martin "50 Cal" Stapleton

Quote Originally Posted by pie eater View Post
    Probably a Dingle

Boing Boing.
    No wolves shite here pal - baggies all the way.
    "Amateur levels are for 'get in there and try' Pro levels are for 'get in there and do' A 'balls before brains' attitude to Professional MMA is only going to end in tears" Mr A Chatfield

Engine

Quote Originally Posted by Shoothai View Post
    Engine.
    Pele Nathan HAS trained MMA fighters and he HAS attended MMA shows.
    He had a couple of guys fight (can't remember their names) on Lee Hasdell's 'Night of the Samurai' shows back in the day.

Out of interest who would qualify him to teach MMA?
    Well that's way before my time, so I can't really argue. However, looking at the fight cards from the three shows I recognise most of the fighters and I am confident that I know the gyms they came from and that wasn't Sale West Muay Thai (which is what Pele's gym was called basck in 98/99). So you are going to have to be a bit more specific to convince me.

I don't think it's a "who" would qualify him, it's a "what" and that would be some involvement in the sport, experience of wrestling, BJJ and MMA and even then we can still end up with coaches at the level of the ones at DTEC, so that doesn't prove anything.

So, Pele is offering MMA classes right now. WHO is teching them and WHO are his current fighters (rather than the ones from 10 years ago )

Engine,

Best way to find out is to give them a quick call.

I think its great to see a well established and highly decorated Muay Thai gym embrace MMA and not close the door and have this "our style is king" stand offish attitude. Whether the class is a response to demand or to add a new dimension and evolve the gym, I think its terrfic. If you're not moving forward, you're standing still as the world moves forward. This means you end up goin backwards and you might as well be dead than go backwards.

I can't imagine for one minute that a guy of Nathan's reputation and credentials would compromise his credibility and that of his gym by running a mickey mouse MMA class. It may well be a beginners class, I dont know, but I'm pretty confident it will have a legit coach of a good standard.

Stapes
    Michael Stapleton stapesmk1@hotmail.com (Not Martin Stapleton)

Engine, just calll Pele and ask him, as Fightshop pointed out a certain Mr Nurse has had ZERO mma fights yet a little french canadian guy he trains (amongs others) used a technique practised with him to knock out Matt Hughes.

the idea of announcing McDojos is a good one, but this just turns into a bit of a witch hunt ..especially when its someone who I think most people would agree is a good teacher and experienced fighter

Dtecmma has sent me several not very nice private messages.. LMFAO and abused me under several screen names....
    Insert whiny message

post em up duchman!
    "Amateur levels are for 'get in there and try' Pro levels are for 'get in there and do' A 'balls before brains' attitude to Professional MMA is only going to end in tears" Mr A Chatfield

Quote Originally Posted by Duchman View Post
    Dtecmma has sent me several not very nice private messages.. LMFAO and abused me under several screen names....
    LOL. It's not your fault they suck.
    ''Fren let me tell you, purple must smash people. SMASH THEM...that is hequirement for purple. Purple belt dangerus man, if purple belt cannot smash he not real purple'' - CREONTE
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Well that's way before my time, so I can't really argue.
    then who is actually the one jumping on the bandwagon?

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    So, Pele is offering MMA classes right now. WHO is teching them and WHO are his current fighters (rather than the ones from 10 years ago )
    what does it matte? im always staggered by the elitism on here. what does it matter if someone trains mma but never fights or none of his guys ever fight as long as the guys he's training learns something from it?

half the great coaches you hear of in UFC have never fought mma. does that mean they aren't "qualified"??
    Augustus Gloop, Augustus Gloop, a great big greedy nincompoop!!