Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The McDojo List

I was invited to a new club recently where one of the instructors had no MMA experience, and the other was a basic whitebelt BJJ level and they had been given the go ahead from a big traditional MA org to start teaching MMA. IT was painfully bad
    Please name and shame them!

Hi Madhorse,

Kris Leverton is a top bloke who has amateur and grappling wins to his name (although no pro-wins). He no longer teaches at the club having left University last year.

Emmett (the assistant coach) has fought amateur MMA and won back in 2004. I know because I was training with him at the time. He posts here under EmmettJ.

The club was originally set up by Dave Marlow in 2003 (hence the Marlow in the web address) and Emmett who were training under Gary Savage at the time who has also fought professional MMA (see MMA universe for his record).

I believe the club is currently run by James Lamb (another top bloke) who has got grappling competition wins under his belt and teaches/taught Josh Williams and several other active up and coming MMA fighters.

Having said that, the club is aimed more at Uni students who may not want to train "full on" MMA and learn more about self-defence, but there are other clubs in the area that the University club has strong links to (i.e. Morecombe MMA) that teach MMA and have current active fighters. So is it a McDojo when it has strong links/been coached by people who have fought amateur and professional MMA and can offer interested students an introduction to MMA and the opportunity to train at a more intense level with an associated club if they are interested? I would think not.
    Last edited by Craig; 14-03-2008 at 03:25 PM.

The most hated Gaijin of all

This thread is clearly going to be used by people to slag off clubs they don't like.

This thread is clearly going to be used by people to slag off clubs they don't like.
    It could be, put id like to use to to make people aware of some of the clubs "coaching MMA" when they really should stick to Kung-Fu

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Hi Madhorse,

Kris Leverton is a top bloke who has amateur and grappling wins to his name (although no pro-wins). He no longer teaches at the club having left University last year.

Emmett (the assistant coach) has fought amateur MMA and won back in 2004. I know because I was training with him at the time. He posts here under EmmettJ.

The club was originally set up by Dave Marlow in 2004 (hence the Marlow in the web address) and Emmett who were training under Gary Savage at the time who has also fought professional MMA (see MMA universe for his record).

I believe the club is currently run by James Lamb (another top bloke) who has got grappling competition wins under his belt and teaches/taught Josh Williams and several other active up and coming MMA fighters.

Having said that, the club is aimed more at Uni students who may not want to train "full on" MMA and learn more about self-defence, but there are other clubs in the area that the University club has strong links to (i.e. Morecombe MMA) that teach MMA and have current active fighters. So is it a McDojo when it has strong links/been coached by people who have fought amateur and professional MMA and can offer interested students an introduction to MMA and the opportunity to train at a more intense level with an associated club if they are interested? I would think not.
    I was quite careful not to imply it was a Mcdojo(I was having a train of thought and probably should have started my own thread)
    I was just wondering aloud how important other CW members think a coaches record is.

Default Coaches

Personally I think what matters is the coaches coaching skills of his/her martial art. I know great fighters who couldnt teach you how to lock in a triangle but if you fight them they can do it themselves. Like wise I know good coaches who cant fight but have a great understanding of their area and can pass on the knowledge so that others can understand and use it.

Its only when coaches make false claims and market themselves as the best of the best that a problem arises.
    As long as the coach looks the part and can deliver on his/her promises i dont really see the problem.
    Last edited by Rickdub; 14-03-2008 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madhorsebjj View Post
    I was quite careful not to imply it was a Mcdojo(I was having a train of thought and probably should have started my own thread)
    I was just wondering aloud how important other CW members think a coaches record is.

Hi Madhorse,

I understand that you were asking a different question (i.e. not implying it was a McDojo), but in the context of the thread it could be easily misinterpreted. I thought I would try and clear it up in case anyone did think you were implying it was a McDojo.

TMAS MMA CLUB

As a pro fighter i don t personally like to be taught by people who have never fought or competed at there relevent area as they need to know what it feels like in there and what it s like to peform techniques under pressure, just my opinion.

Leeroy Barnes
    Pro Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Hi Madhorse,

The club was originally set up by Dave Marlow in 2003 (hence the Marlow in the web address) and Emmett who were training under Gary Savage at the time who has also fought professional MMA (see MMA universe for his record).

wich garry savage are we talking about here i used to train under a garry savage in blackpool, at the time i also rolled with a few young lads from morcamb mma not a bad ground game to be honest, this was a while back like.
    Wolfslair MMA

Quote Originally Posted by ReD_mIst View Post
    Good fighter and good coach can be two seperate thing.

I do believe it is important that a coach has had some fighting experieince though, as it enables them to at leaast talk from experieince about things. However, I don't think it is important that they are an undefeated world champion.... it actually says nothing about their coaching ability
    Agreed.

Shawn Tompkins, well respected trainer out of Xtreme Couture, is 0-4 in MMA. Shit record, great coach.