Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technique/Power Trade Off?

Cornwall

Default Technique/Power Trade Off?

So... Assuming you've got a pretty decent interest in Martial Arts (sports mma - not thai chi death moves etc), but also can't dedicate your entire life to training and have to hold down a regular 9-5 and keep your other half happy you may be able to at a push commit to say 6 training hours a week -> How would you use them?

Bjj groundwork, Wrestling Takedowns and Clinch, Boxing or In the Gym lifting weights to gain power?

I understand that strength can be a big factor and certainly if you wanted to fight for a living then you would have to go to the gym and lift, but is 2 hours on the mat rolling more benificial than 2 hours in a gym working cardio and weights?

I've had one mma fight so far and managed to pull off a win. I never do any form of strength, weight training or cardio other than normal grappling/clinch etc in class and as it went to the third round the fitness nearly killed me. However I was more technical than the other guy and it paid off.

At low levels of MMA I think you're better at working on 2 of the 3 main fighting ranges and learning a bare minimum in the other just to survive rather than spread yourself too thinly.

Any other opinions out there. Just thought that it would make interesting reading.

Periodise your training. I'm in a similar boat to you but have managed to get into tremendous shape with correct planning. Speak to Alex Gold about it
    www.vtjiujitsu.co.uk - Part of the Bristol Alliance

Wiltshire's Strongest Person 2008

House of Pain Bantamweight British Champion

Rally driver extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Periodise your training. I'm in a similar boat to you but have managed to get into tremendous shape with correct planning. Speak to Alex Gold about it

this is something im interested in to, i dont fight myself but a lot of my mates in the gym do and as i seem to be the only one with the internet i can pass on the advice to them. leigh what do you mean by "periodise" and could you give us some examples please. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Totally agree, speak to Alex about it. Will do you wonders.

In my opinion. Deadlift and shoulderpress once a week and spent the other 5 hours doing technique and sparring.
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Goodbye fond memories
    FUCK THE ALLIANCE

Quote Originally Posted by Wiegieboard View Post
    In my opinion. Deadlift and shoulderpress once a week and spent the other 5 hours doing technique and sparring.

surely if you have to minimise your weights to anything, it should include squats?

Quote Originally Posted by taffdragon View Post
    this is something im interested in to, i dont fight myself but a lot of my mates in the gym do and as i seem to be the only one with the internet i can pass on the advice to them. leigh what do you mean by "periodise" and could you give us some examples please. thanks.
    Yeah sure. There are differents ways to periodise, which is basically to focus on one particular area for a while and then change that focus. For example, you may spend 6 weeks working strength with minimal cardio, then spend tehnext 6 weeks hammering fitness and just maintenance for strength

Do a search on google - there are loads of ways to splitit and not just attributes - pre-competition phase, bulking up phase etc

thanks leigh for the reply, ill pass it on. for strenth do you think squats,deadlifts,cleans kind of weights are best. and fitness would you advise doing some kind of martial art kind of training(?) to get fit or some kind of cardio like running mach or exercise bike. thanks again for the help, most appreciated.

Yes, those types of exercises are ideal for strength. For fitness, I would supplement my martial arts training with additional cardio. At least for me, just sparring isn't enough for competition. Maybe some naturally fit freaks can get away with it but I have to leg it up and down hills and do hours of circuits

check the articles on Alex's site here and in particular, the Off-Season Training For MMA article, which is actually a pretty good example of a periodised program
    Last edited by Leigh; 27-03-2008 at 02:57 PM.

thanks a lot leigh. ill pass this on to the boys.