Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Technique/Power Trade Off?

Powerlifting will give you great strength and power without putting on alot of weight/size.

At the moment I am doing no MMA, but if you do the following exercises once a week you should find you are making progress: -

1.) Chest - flat bench barbell
    2.) Back - deadlift
    3.) Shoulders - military press
    4.) Legs - squat
    5.) Arms - barbell/dumbell curl/whatever.

These in my mind hit the areas hardest/most overall.

Of course you could then split these down to 2/3 days a week - job done.

surely if you have to minimise your weights to anything, it should include squats?
    Squats are an excellent exercise but I would choose deadlift over squat for my self because of the amount of muscle used in a deadlift. Depending on how you dead eg. standard/sumo/narrow stance, you can hit muscles similar to if it was a squat plus all of the supporting muscles in the hips, lower and upper back, abdomen, forearms etc. which comes heavily into play. Alternately you could do what I used to do when I was doing less weights and squat one week, dead the next. Personally I found that deadlifting gave me more benefit for my MMA than the squats did but I tended to wrestle more than I did standup. If you're bangin' in standup having the squat related fitness might benefit better in helping you stay upright when you've been cracked a doosie. Ideally, I'd say that being able to do both squats and deadlift would make you better as an athlete but I'd personally try to emphasize having skill over obscene athleticism especially on a tight schedule, hence the deads being my choice as a more wrestling orientated practicioner.
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Goodbye fond memories
    FUCK THE ALLIANCE

technique is obviously very important

why not try this weights circuit?

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...arch&plindex=0

LOL! I used to do that very circuit! It's a real killer but it gets your lactate threshold up SO SO high!
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Goodbye fond memories
    FUCK THE ALLIANCE

yup

its pretty brutal

had an arguement with a colleague over it.

They said that only low to medium level athletes used circuits.

I told them to fuck off and to stop being so pompous.