Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rule changes for VTJJ grappling comp

Default Rule changes for VTJJ grappling comp

I know this is short notice, so if the changes I am proposing are not agreed on, we will keep the original format. To clarify, we will only implement these changes if the majority of people agree on them

1) Remove points for a reversal. So if someone is mounted and then roll their opponent over, they will no longer score points for that escape. My reasoning is, if someone attains mount and scores points, they would basically lose those points if their opponent escaped. I don't think this is fair

2) No points scored for positional change on a legitamite submission attempt. So a takedown on a tight guillotine, passing guard when opponent tries an armbar etc. This is to encourage more submission attempts

3) 1lb allowance on the scales. My digital scales are very accurate and are calibrated against the balance scales in the gym upstairs but I think 1lb allowance prevents people having to skip weight off if there is a slight difference. More than a pound means you need to re-evaluate your weight management. I don't think a pound makes a difference here or there in the competition

If there are any strong protests against these rule changes, please let Serena or myself know either on this thread, by pm or by any other means you may have
    www.vtjiujitsu.co.uk - Part of the Bristol Alliance

Wiltshire's Strongest Person 2008

House of Pain Bantamweight British Champion

Rally driver extraordinaire!

So if someone is in side control and they get bridged would the person who ended up on top get reversal points?
    Team Rough House - UKs no1 fight team

No. Sweeps would still count from guard or half guard, though

Ok

i'm sure you'll go over it on the day to cover any confusions.

Quick one, Say someone shoots in for a double and instead of sprawling/defending he goes for the neck. How you that be scored? Seems like a stupid questions but ive gotta ask lol

Depends on how close the submission is. this is the part i'm not keen on because it is open to interpretation. As I will be reffing, I had better explain what I would be looking for. If the submission attempt looks like a real threat, then no points would be scored. However, an arm around the neck that is nowhere close will not save you from having points scored against you

Very good question and made me think. An alternative is to say that the take down was initiated first, so scores points regardless, but I think the first option will do more to encourage submission attempts

Sounds good Leigh, especially removing the points for reversals. Points should be scored for attacking, not escaping and surviving.

Good luck for the comp.

James

Thanks James. Yep, that's what I was thinking - if someone gets mount but then gets reversed, he should still have the lead

excellent commonsense rules.

Also Leigh, Whats your reasoning behing allowing Heel hooks?

IMO its a bad idea, Reason being in these kind of comps the level can vary massively. Some people have no control over these kind of subs and can put people on the shelf for a over a year.

Is it worth the risk in your opinion?

Are heel hooks allowed in the novice division? I was pretty sure they were only in the advanced division but I will check

To clarify, heel hooks WILL be banned in the novice section, along with any other twisting submission. This does NOT include a figure four toe hold, which is no more dangerous than a keylock or achilles tendon stretch (similar ankle lock)

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    IMO its a bad idea, Reason being in these kind of comps the level can vary massively. Some people have no control over these kind of subs and can put people on the shelf for a over a year.
    A heel hook is no more dangerous than most other submissions - a kneebar can cripple you, an armbar can put you a cast for weeks etc. The reason why they are usually banned is because beginners don't know when they are about pop.
    Last edited by Leigh; 03-04-2008 at 12:20 PM.