Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rule changes for VTJJ grappling comp

I agree with the point that all submissions are potentially career ending (mma wise) and also mortgage ending (work wise)
    However imo novices are more likely to panic / realise that they are in a bad position and then make an error with what direction they need to roll thus increasing the risk of a pretty bad injury. The straight locks are more logical to defend rather than the twisting locks such as a heel hook. Hopefully the advanced competitors truly are advanced and there is no massive disparity in each category

I suppose a major argument re: the heel hook is the first thing to get injured are the major ligaments whereas the vast majority of other submissions dont - the kneebar can injure the ligaments, generally the view seems to be that heel hooks 'come on' quicker - plus it could be argued that the leg has alot of strength in the plane of movement that a knee occurs, whereas as very little strength in the plane of movement of a heel hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I suppose a major argument re: the heel hook is the first thing to get injured are the major ligaments whereas the vast majority of other submissions dont - the kneebar can injure the ligaments, generally the view seems to be that heel hooks 'come on' quicker - plus it could be argued that the leg has alot of strength in the plane of movement that a knee occurs, whereas as very little strength in the plane of movement of a heel hook.
    thats the truth of it. major ligament damage is generally the 1st sign of injury rather than supporting ligament damage or muscle injury. plus pain is felt often as the injury occurs where most other submissions incl keylock form north/south cause pain as a warning to major injury. not saying they wont cause that major injury if ripped on and held on but all a heel hook needs is for someone to roll and then stop while the attacker continues to roll...then game over.

the other thing to consider is most people can continue to work to some extent with a shoulder or elbow injury. but dont know anyone that can walk let along work with a snapped acl
    Augustus Gloop, Augustus Gloop, a great big greedy nincompoop!!

If people think that heel hooks should br removed, then we will definitely consider doing that. I don't even think they are that good of a submission and there are better ankle locks to go for but I don't want to restrict anyone's submission game
    www.vtjiujitsu.co.uk - Part of the Bristol Alliance

Wiltshire's Strongest Person 2008

House of Pain Bantamweight British Champion

Rally driver extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    If people think that heel hooks should br removed, then we will definitely consider doing that. I don't even think they are that good of a submission and there are better ankle locks to go for but I don't want to restrict anyone's submission game
    Its a tough one for you guys TBH

Because it is a legit move, Its just quite a advanced move.

Maybe have a vote on the day or something like that? Or just keep them in and see how it goes etc
    Team Rough House - UKs no1 fight team

Good Luck with the Competition Leigh.

Thanks but in fairness, Serena has organised everything. I've said I'll ref and had a look at the rules this week but that's all I've done. If anyone else fancies jumping in as a ref, that would great, as I would like to avoid reffing our own guys. I don't think it would be a problem for me to remain impartial, but questions always get raised over these types of situations
    www.vtjiujitsu.co.uk - Part of the Bristol Alliance

Wiltshire's Strongest Person 2008

House of Pain Bantamweight British Champion

Rally driver extraordinaire!

Good Luck with the competition Serena

lol, thanks
    http://www.SASPromotions.co.uk The No1. Submission Event in the UK!!!