Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rule changes for VTJJ grappling comp

No im pretty sure it says advanced only. I see your point and logic. With Kneebars etc but it doesnt take much to pop a knee from a heel hook. With kneebars etc you've gotta rip into it pretty damn hard. By that point the ref can step in.

Do you agree?

Dont get me wrong im not having a go or trying to pick holes in your rules
    Team Rough House - UKs no1 fight team

No, I don't think that at all. If you can't justify the safety of your decisions, then there's a problem

I don't think its any easier to mash someone with a heel hook than it is with a keylock or an armbar. If you rip any submission you will mess someone up
    www.vtjiujitsu.co.uk - Part of the Bristol Alliance

Wiltshire's Strongest Person 2008

House of Pain Bantamweight British Champion

Rally driver extraordinaire!

Ok, Just wanted your opinion on it thats all

Cheers

P.S i dont agree that a keylock is just as dangerous as a heelhook, But thats something different.

As a ref, if someone applys a heel hook, the guy screams in pain as tapping, you stop the match and his knee is still blown.

With say a keylock you can stop it before any serious damage happens. (but i surpose you can say the same thing about the heel hook).

Its a good subject to debate now i think about it

Anyone else got any views?
    Last edited by Predator; 03-04-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I don't think its any easier to mash someone with a heel hook than it is with a keylock or an armbar. If you rip any submission you will mess someone up
    Perhaps, but bear in mind

a). The inconvenience of having an upper limb injury vs a lower limb injury (i.e. impact on your day to day life)
    b). A cranked armbar will general result in a hyperextended elbow, strained ligaments, swelling etc, maybe some tears, a cranked heelhook could screw your knee ligaments, ankle ligaments, give you a single/double spiral fracture.

Good luck with the tournie

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    P.S i dont agree that a keylock is just as dangerous as a heelhook, But thats something different.
    Ok, you are entitled to your opinion. But I think if you let me lock up a keylock from north-south and then give me just 2 seconds to rip it on, you'll need surgery to repair the damage

Of course, if you wait until your ankle/shoulder is torn and then tap, there's going to be an injury. I think people will be sensible and tap when caught

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Ok, you are entitled to your opinion. But I think if you let me lock up a keylock from north-south and then give me just 2 seconds to rip it on, you'll need surgery to repair the damage

Of course, if you wait until your ankle/shoulder is torn and then tap, there's going to be an injury. I think people will be sensible and tap when caught
    That is without a doubt the key word.

When everyone competing is sensible then injurys are slim. Its the other kind of guys you need to adjust rules for to make it safer for everyone else..

Regarding your statement about the keylock from north south i 100% agree. But no sensible person would rip it on, Which is kinda my point.

For instance would spar with heel hooks with a new person at your gym without knowing or watching him? I personally would lol (kinda messed my own question up) But i'll be very cautious

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Regarding your statement about the keylock from north south i 100% agree. But no sensible person would rip it on, Which is kinda my point.
    Isn't this also true of any submission, including a heel hook? I'm not trying to be a knob (for once) but I really am struggling to see your point. I don't mean to be rude - I really want to work out what you're getting at because it could affect our competition

No i'm sure its gonna be fine, I was just wondering thats all.

My point is some subs are safer to watch over then others.

For example a RNC is safe because as a ref if you see someone going out then you stop it. Simple. This sub itself however is dangerous because if you hold it for long enough......................they die lol

P.S also the last few posts have just been about heels hooks in general, Nothing to do with your comp. I was just after your input thats all, since its rare for a UK comp to allow them.

Its all good,

Quote Originally Posted by J-Sho View Post
    Perhaps, but bear in mind

a). The inconvenience of having an upper limb injury vs a lower limb injury (i.e. impact on your day to day life)
    b). A cranked armbar will general result in a hyperextended elbow, strained ligaments, swelling etc, maybe some tears, a cranked heelhook could screw your knee ligaments, ankle ligaments, give you a single/double spiral fracture.

Good luck with the tournie
    Those are good points. I have been considering a) myself and think it is valid, but that would mean banning all leg locks. People will have different ideas on what level of risk should be allowed - for example, the BMA want it all banned, whereas some people want everything allowed. I personally think most submissions are ok in the advanced divisions but restrictions must be in place for novices

Predator, you are right, some submissions are definitely easier to watch over than others. So I will make sure I do my job properly

Thanks for the well wishes on the comp

I cant make it. But i have a friend from the gym coming up for it.

Iwan Baxter and hes coming back with gold!!! lol

Best of luck, hope it all runs smooth