Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being tall a hinderance when grappling?

Default Being tall a hinderance when grappling?

I'm naturally quite tall at 6' 5" but find that people who are short and stocky are harder to arm bar or choke due to their frames being more compact and tight on the ground. I've not been grappling long but it seems that being tall is more of a hinderance than a benefit when it comes to grappling. Obviously for standup striking arts like boxing and kickboxing being taller is very advantageous, but how can us taller people use our hight to our advantage in grappling?

Triangles, sweeps and back control are the main areas where height helps (unless you're tall with short legs!).
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Tha nks I've been trying. But bin gettin caught in ankle locks and heel hooks quite a bit too lol. Hopefully I'll get better

Finn are you really 6' 5 as you said on your other thread that you were under 12 stone?

Yep. I'm pretty skinny. Although to be fair I weighed myself the other day on the gym scales and am actually about 12.5 stone now. That's still pretty light for my height though.

im 6"3 and i now know that when i sparr and start throwing kicks around or boxing that people will shoot, i am trying to now be as comfortable on my back as i am on my feet, i am told to go for triangles, armbars and brabo chokes
    The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

www.nextgenmma.co.uk

Just curious. If I remain 12.5 stone what weight would I be fighting in if I competed?

welterweight i think, i am 85kg and have a Thai fight at 83kg.Could you lose any more wight? corey hill from ultimate fighter fights wleter or light and he is 6"3 and its the reason they took him for the show as he had a 0-0-0 record! terry etim also at lightweight and is 6"1.
    The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

www.nextgenmma.co.uk

I could prob lose the weight but dunno if I want to be that skinny again. I'm pretty slim now. Kind of like Kendall Grove's build. I was considering bulking up but if I can increase my strength whilst fighting at the upper end of welter weight I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I could prob lose the weight but dunno if I want to be that skinny again. I'm pretty slim now. Kind of like Kendall Grove's build. I was considering bulking up but if I can increase my strength whilst fighting at the upper end of welter weight I'll be happy.
    yeah prob a good idea, bj penn would just grab you round your knees at lightweight

www.nextgenmma.co.uk