Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kent Open Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Championships

Default The Kent Open Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Championships

The Carlson Gracie BJJ Revolution Team would like to invite you all to THE KENT OPEN!

1st Kent BJJ Open Competition

On Sunday 2nd November Dartford Judo Club will host this inaugral event. This multi million pound facility will be the battle ground for a full schedule of BJJ fights -
    White Belt through to Black Belt
    Male and Female
    Adult/Masters/Seniors
    Rooster to Super Super Heavy + Absolutes
    (all subject to entrants)

Doors open at 9-15 fights start at 10.

Please see www.kentbjjopen.co.uk for further details. Email us or call us using the details from the Kent Open site for further information. Or failing that speak to us at the Seni next week!!

Everyone is welcome to attend and given the fantastic location and transport links - ie - 30 seconds from the Dartford Tunnel - its an event that can be attended very easily. There are a couple of hotels within 5 min walk, we are in negotiation at the moment to organise rates, and closer to the time will publish these.

Dartford Judo Club is the countries flagship Judo Facility and has been built with no expense spared.This facility will be a superb place for fighters and spectators.

See you on the mats!!!!

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/8...nposterjz9.jpg

http://britishjudo.org.uk/home/bjpi.php

looks a really good event, weights date location all identified before publishing an application form & in good time. (thats a first) Hope it goes well.

what category would a dan grade judoka enter if he is ungraded in bjj? White belt?
    Last edited by dirty dick; 19-04-2008 at 08:11 AM.

www.carlsongracietonbridge.net

Chris,

Your question will always raise different opinions,but we at Carlsons have a definate opinion on this.

If a Dan grade in Judo is not graded in BJJ he/she will fight in the White Belt division because he/she is a white belt in BJJ.

If the Dan grade decides through sportsmanlike conduct that he/she wants to
    fight in a higher division then that is their decision.

We would of course expect nationally ranked Judoka to behave like sports man and fight in a higher division-but as sportsman that will be their decision,not ours.

I have fought many Judo Dan grades who were absolutely shite on the ground,guys a Carlson Blue Belt would destroy,but i have also seen other Judo Black Belts submit BJJ Black Belts.

The Judoka who should fight in a higher division know full well who they are
    and will be trusted to be sportsman,leaving the Judoka who are no good at Ne Waza the opportunity to fight in the white belt division where they belong.

'Judo is not BJJ'

As a side note-The last time we saw enough Judoka at a comp to make an analysis of this there were 3 of them.2 were nationally ranked in the top 5.
    The 2 nationally ranked entered the white belt division-neither won their division and no one got hurt.The third was an olympian who entered the Blue Belt division and won it after some good scraps with no injuries.He was awarded his purple belt 2 weeks later and rightly so.
    Last edited by Simon Hayes; 19-04-2008 at 09:14 AM.

I wholly agree with that Simon and i think not only is it common sense but it is also fair & equitable for all.
    If it was a BJJ player doing judo they would be treated as a white belt, and would not be eligible to enter certain comps. This imo is one of judo's flaws, but i would expect a top BJJ guy to get to dan grade level in double quick time.

Good luck with the comp and yes i will think about it

I was just writing a reply and had a fire call - Not as good as Simons - but was gonna say that we are already arranging the invites that will go to judo clubs - Inviting them to come along and compete if they wish - the invite will go out with a link to all the BJJ rules.

BJJ players would win at every weight category from blue upwards imo
    but as always, would be good to see

shame its so bloody far, wouldn't mind doing this
    The Dungeon Sunderland / Checkmatt BJJ team

Quote Originally Posted by NeilD View Post
    shame its so bloody far, wouldn't mind doing this
    It is a bit of a way, yes. How about you have a word with Marc - hes already shown some interest, get the crew down for some training with Marc and the competion the next day? make a weekend of it?

As a side note-The last time we saw enough Judoka at a comp to make an analysis of this there were 3 of them.2 were nationally ranked in the top 5.
    The 2 nationally ranked entered the white belt division-neither won their division and no one got hurt.The third was an olympian who entered the Blue Belt division and won it after some good scraps with no injuries.He was awarded his purple belt 2 weeks later and rightly so.
    Presuming you're referring to the London Open, way back when, where Winston won the Blue Belt division...I always thought that it was a nationally ranked judo player who won the white belt absolute, since I know and remember the guy he fought who refused to pull guard and got tossed a few times and eventually lost on points, despite a strong start. I could be wrong, but that was how I remembered it, along with talk of him being a commonwealth medallist.

...but I could be wrong.

Anyone able to refresh my memory?

Take care,

Stalks