Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fight theory. type of styles to cross

Default fight theory. type of styles to cross

I'm always thinking about fighting theory.
    (perhaps too much sometimes)
    I think the ideals, as far as cross training are:
    Western Boxing
    Muay Thai
    BJJ & Greco.
    (Obviously there are good elements from others)

However, just how far can one person go, training in only maybe two styles, if he masters them?
    I'm limited because I don't drive but if I can train boxing and BJJ, would it
    be an argument to say that it's the best possible combo... if you can choose only two?

Arguments for and against please.

When I look at a Forest Griffin, I think maybe these two styles are his main adoption.

i dont think i have ever seen BJ Penn throw a kick and he is considered p4p top 3 in the world id say his main styles are

bjj
    western boxing (he does throw knees on occasion)

he seems a good wrestler but its as much his flexibility that helps him avoid take downs imo

so you could go boxing bjj and sterch every day.... few years your best in the world

If you can only choose two styles I would probably go with Muay Thai and BJJ, along with one or two MMA sessions thrown in....

My only argument would be that if you only train in two areas of the sport then arent you restricting yourself to other things you could learn and that you open weaknesses in places your not as strong in.

Im not a fighter however, so maybe learning two things could be better then learning 4.

If i had to pick though it would be
    Muay Thai and BJJ/Wrestling
    The man with the plan.

You can't be equally good at everything.

There is a strong case for developing a great gameplan, and learn to force the opponent to work to that.

E.g. Lidell is all around striking and regaining his feet. Randy is all about slams and g'n'p. Silva is all about the MT attacks. It's not that they don't have weaker parts of their game, it's that they have learnt to minimise that and fight their game. What makes MMA so interesting, imho
    No natural ability, no skills, no conditioning, no hope...no quitting

Of course I feel that this would limit you, however there are times in M.A when you learn something but still need to discard it because it doesn't fit your arsenal.

I completely agree that the kicks used in general, overall are very limited.
    Whether that's a case of people just not being imaginative enough or it's tried and tested that too many kicks are just not practical, I'm not sure.
    But rest assured, a fighter every now and then comes up who can utilitise those kicks and those wrestling skills like no other.

This is just a case of what I have access to for training, so I thought it was a discussion point.

Pro Fighter
    Allan "No" Love
    Dinky Ninja

You'll find alot of arguments for wrestling (or Judo) along with boxing/MT as a great base. With wrestling/Judo you can dictate where a fight takes place.

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Boxing and Catch Wreslting. You will therefore be able to strike, take down, GnP and submit.

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Shrek View Post
    You'll find alot of arguments for wrestling (or Judo) along with boxing/MT as a great base. With wrestling/Judo you can dictate where a fight takes place.
    I agree with this too. BJJ is great, but the takedowns and takedown defence is poor, so isn't going to help you dictate the flow of the fight.

I would recommend trying to push to three styles, which should enable you to build a good MMA style... i.e. Boxing, Wrestling and BJJ

Sumo and JSD for me!