Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: fighter nerves

Default fighter nerves

is it common that most fighters get nerves prior to there fight, examples: being sick, thinking "what the fuck am i about to do this for?" and pissing/shitting a lot?????
    ..........i'll do it later

Always ask myself what the fuck I'm doing, I think it's a fairly common question to ask of one's self prior to getting in a ring and getting beaten up. I don't feel sick but my stomach sometimes feels heavy, as though I've eaten too much, and I feel like I should go and make myself sick to get rid of it...

I think that your body is always going to undergo changes when you know you've got to fight in a few hours, but I feel you can interpret those changes in a number of ways - you can interpret what you're feeling as fear or nerves, or you can see it as excitement, and your body switching on to get maximum performance - essentially your body reacts the same way but it's the meaning you attribute to this reaction that has significance.

Career highlight video
    Team Fulinkazan "The will to win compares little with the will to prepare to win"

I used to get that a lot and would always think, "why am I doing this?"

The way I have found to over come this is to extend my training period. About 6 weeks out, I start to panic and think, "Oh God, what am I doing? All this training just to go out infront of thousands of people and shit myself!"

But about 3 weeks out, I'm sick of training and during the week before, while I'm managing my weight, I just want to get in there and tear it up

Hope that helps
    www.vtjiujitsu.co.uk - Part of the Bristol Alliance

Wiltshire's Strongest Person 2008

House of Pain Bantamweight British Champion

Rally driver extraordinaire!

"The UK's Lyoto Machida - Hit and Run, Baby" widge milward's Avatar

I used to get hyperactive and 'giddy' (more than usual) in the warm up room before fights, i also used to piss quite a bit and brush my teeth 2-3 times before hand, dunno why lol.

but never got butterflies for some reason.
    You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get

Team Colosseum

Lol...BRUSH UR TEETH??

Wierd...

Quote Originally Posted by widge milward View Post
    I used to get hyperactive and 'giddy' (more than usual) in the warm up room before fights, i also used to piss quite a bit and brush my teeth 2-3 times before hand, dunno why lol.

but never got butterflies for some reason.

clean body , clean mind

i just say , whats the worst that could happen

Quote Originally Posted by dead man walking View Post
    is it common that most fighters get nerves prior to there fight, examples: being sick, thinking "what the fuck am i about to do this for?" and pissing/shitting a lot?????
    i had my first fight an wen i was in the cage it felt surreal it felt like its not natural but wen the ref said fight thats it its on

i was fucking fucking shocked.. Cause i had no feeling...Realy when i fought at the quannem interclub, thai or against micky young.. I had the same feeling as i have right now sitting here typing..
    YOu have to come to terms with your self.
    I tried screaming, hating, cursing... But it had no effect.. I just walk in there and play
    Insert whiny message

Quote Originally Posted by daniel darby View Post
    i had my first fight an wen i was in the cage it felt surreal it felt like its not natural but wen the ref said fight thats it its on
    Yeah, definitely had the surreal sort of detachment from reality feeling in the cage before. Like everything's moving dead fast, and then dead slow (probably the guy moving fast and me moving slow!).

Leigh's advice sounds good, train for long enough and hard enough that by the time you get to fight you gagging for the chance to get it over with.

i crap myself , its the worst feeling ever , but when its allover it feels soo good.

last time i fought i was just sa in the changing rooms thinking what the fuck am i doing , ive got beaten up for 4 weeks in training ...and now im going to either get my face smashed in or smash somoneface it... what is the point?
    being empty of yourself you cannot be attacked because you arent filled by you.