Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: fighter nerves

First time I fought I was incredibly composed - like it was nothing.
    Second time - because of the people there to watch me - I downed two litres of water in an hour and still felt dehydrated and my heart was racing man. Nearly didn't pass blood pressure medical. Cold shower before fight.

I now find that smoking a joint five minutes before however...

the worst part is right before the fight, i really dont want to be there, but when im looking at my opponent (or trying not to lol) i start to focus more, adrenaline also makes me feel nervous becuase i used to lose a lot of fights and it felt really bad (rough secondary school) so i guess i assosciate adrenaline more with nervousness, the only explanation i have for it becuase everyone else says adrenaline makes them feel like they want to fight

I see nerves as things that need understanding to hold cool.
    I held my attention not to dwell each time I fought.

Now I hold my attention to holding my mood.
    I would be concious of not getting caught up in conversations expressing any urgency before a fight.

when you hold kind you wont get mind fucked,lol pardoning the expression

mma is just a game based on a duel where we play with our arguments of physical expressions to the point where we stop when its time to..... We dont play for keeps. The moutain of a mole of it is purely for marketing purposes,lol

www.samiberik.com

that is some seeeeerious parable right there Sami... :S
    "Awww, so you lost darling - but it's the taking part that counts" My Mum... thanks for nothing Mum.

I was nervous my first few fights... You just have to remind yourself of the following:

Will you get hurt... Probably.
    Will you lose... Maybe.
    Will you be embarrassed... Depends what you do.
    What can you do to stop either of these? Fight hard and to the best of your ability.

It's just the game man, if you don't wanna get hit... don't fight. What's the worst that can happen? You get knee'd in the face or elbowed in the face? What's the worst result... A broken nose? A knock out... fuck it, it's tempory. VERY few people have been seriously hurt in combat sports and if the worst you can expect is a broken nose you have nothing much to fear seeing as nearly everyones had one these days.
    "When you're not training; somebody else is training to kick your ass."
    Part of Team Savage. Trained by Alex 'The Boy' Owen:
    http://www.teamsavage.co.uk/

for me the nerves werent there to begin with because i was always quitely confident i could beat anyone my weight i fought lol, i still dont get as nervous as most and i think that its because i constantly tell myself in the weeks before that its what i do outside of the cage in my preperation that contributes most to the fight, and that getting it right outside the cage equals getting it right inside the cage. nerves for everyone are completely normal. everybody gets the exact same feeling, some people just deal with it better than others.

I entered my first Grappling competition this sat just gone. Tell you what nerves were a mofo! I lost my first fight and I went to pieces, I started to doubt my self and what not. Next fight I was even more nervous going in to it, but at the start the guy charged me and not sure what happened but I think I got elbowed/forearmed in the face and that woke me up, the nerves went and I felt great and I loved every min of the fight.
    Just thought I would share that experience

Quote Originally Posted by widge milward View Post
    I used to get hyperactive and 'giddy' (more than usual) in the warm up room before fights, i also used to piss quite a bit and brush my teeth 2-3 times before hand, dunno why lol.

but never got butterflies for some reason.
    i have only just had my 1st fight and i got hyperactive done about 5 pisses in the hour leading up to my fight and had no nerves/butterflies just excitement, but when i got into the fight i was over excited, lost the game plan, never listened too my corner and was looking for the KO to please the crowd (my striking stinks), i was doing well till i got caught in a guillotine that my corner was screaming at me was about to happen and lost, but i enjoyed the fight.

there is no humiliation in defeat as it takes balls to enter the arena, so there is nothing to lose unless you are a high profile fighter with a title/perfect record.

my advise if any worth would be do the opposite of what i done, i think if i was more relaxed/composed i would have done better.

try be confident, composed, listen to your coach, never doubt your own ability and enjoy the moment when it comes and look your opponent in the eye and show him you are confident (mind games work i have been told).

no disrespect but if you are scared of what might happen i would say you are in the wrong sport.

My tuppenceworth...

I get nervous but try and focus it on the task in hand. When the adrenaline kicks in all kinds of crazy thoughts wizz round my mind, but i try and keep my breathing calm and focus.
    Reading Geof Thompson's book on FEAR helps a lot to be honest, explaining the science behind the adrenaline you feel and how to make it work for you.
    As natural as going to the toilet... apparantently.

i find im very relaxed on the day , even in the medical i had the doctor telling me i seemed too relaxed (blood pressure or heart rate or wateva) for fight night but that its a gd thing and nothing to worry about. and then they come an tell me its my fight next an i've got a few minutes and i just wanna be anywhere else in the world! really nervous and butterflies and then when the music starts, absolute tunnel vision focusness and nothing else matters, no nerves nothing