Thread: Anybodt heard of Tom Mayes?

Hybrid View

Default Anybodt heard of Tom Mayes?

New school opened near me, and the bio of the teacher includes:

He has had well over 50 competitive fights, ranging from amateur through to professional, in a variety of formats including kickboxing, grappling and Mixed Martial Arts where he won 2 British Amateur Mixed Martial Arts titles, and remained undefeated after 16 full contact MMA fights.

I'm not looking to doubt him or anything, just genuinely interested if anyone has heard of him, or trains with him. Momentum Martial Arts is the club

http://www.momentummartialarts.co.uk/bio

Cheers
    No natural ability, no skills, no conditioning, no hope...no quitting

http://www.mmauniverse.com/fighters/SS13954

I rolled and sparred with Tom when i had just started mma at Kev O'Hagans gym in bristol. I think most of his mma fight were no head shot ones.

Saying that i sparred boxing and some ground with him and he is very good. Very skillfull on the ground and with his hands and extremely strong. His record speaks for itself really. I heard he got injured in a bjj comp and it stopped him fighting.
    Last edited by Reedy; 11-07-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

watched him fight several times a couple of years back at the combat sports open trials.
    he won the title 2 years running.
    as reedy said they were no headshots, apart from one pro win but the guy is very talented and strong as an ox

Smile

Hi. I've heard of me.

Thanks for the kind words, Reedy and shakus maximus.

Just to confirm my fight record stuff. I've been competing in various stuff for about 13 years. I started competing with Lau Gar in points fighting then into 'light' (they called it that anyway) contact kickboxing and then some other kickboxing comps. Did that for about 4 years and was competing pretty much once a month.

I then started doing Jeet Kune Do which took me into the grappling stuff and started doing some of the purely grappling rules competitions with the combat sports guys, then started with the amateur MMA with the same group. I think they've stopped the purely grappling ones. I did start competing with them before their records show, promise . All my amateur ones are with them, and they were all no head shots ones. I won the Championships for a couple of years running and decided to take it up a level and have a go at pro. I did one (which I won). I was lined up for another one, but ripped the ligaments in my arm from an armbar in a BJJ comp.

That put me out for about 6 months, after which I joined the fire brigade and spent 3 months living in Devon where we were allowed no contact sports, then came back with a funny shift system which really screwed with my training, so I ended up having about a year and a half off (which I thoroughly enjoyed). After a while I missed the fighting and got slowly back into it sparring with friends and such, and eventually decided I needed a regular group of people to train with. There wasn't anywhere immediately around me so decided to make my own one, I wanted to make it somewhere where I would want to train, so started my own club. I wouldn't say we are exclusively MMA, but we just do practical Martial Arts, and the sparring part, as a consequence, tends to be MMA based.

I don't really have any plans on competing again, mainly because I don't have the drive to put my life on hold and train like you need to. I do however love training and working hard, so I'm still going in my own little way.

Hows that. Sorry it went on a bit. Pretty boring, but thats why I didn't put it in my bio, but seeing as you asked.

If you're interested, 'bigreddog', come along and have a go. We're a friendly club. If you don't like it, then at least you've tried it. I always think you shouldn't take other peoples word for things you should always just go and see for yourself. Hope to see you soon.

Thanks for taking the time to reply - would love to pop up for a session at some point in the next couple of weeks.
    No natural ability, no skills, no conditioning, no hope...no quitting

You'd be more than welcome.

p.s. MMA training with Kevin O'Hagan was top notch and flippin knackering. Was an honour to have spent some time in his class.

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

nice post tom.
    its nice to see u back on the scene
    you beat one of my best mates in the final for your 2nd combat sports title.
    his name is simon horner
    it was a good fight that went the distance but you deserved the win
    hope the club goes well