Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye infections

Possibly Killed Micheal Jackson

Default Eye infections

SInce I started mma I have had 2 eye infections. I had conjunctivitis in April and at the moment I have a peripheral corneal ulcer,which is particularly nasty. After the April one I have made sure I was my hands with anti bacterial products, make sure I keep my contact lenses clean and can't really do any more.
    I have worn lenses now for 10 years and didn't have a single infection until April.

Does anyone else wear contacts and have this problem?

I'm out of training now for a couple of weeks and gutted it has happened again.Hopefully the drops I am on will make sure it doesn't spread and scar.

I've worn contact lenses myself for about 10 years and i've done MMA and BJJ for a while but so far i've been pretty lucky. The worst i've had is 1 sty, which i suspect i got after i picked my contact lens off the dirty floor 1 too many times after i had it knocked out in kickboxing a few years ago. I'm really surprised i haven't had a lot more problems with eye infections etc. Just wait till your introduced to Impetigo, ring worm and other nasties, which you'll almost inevitably acquire at some point if you grapple a lot (not trying to put you off).

What kind of lenses do you use? If like me, you use monthly disposables, I'd suggest you take the lens solution you use, with you to training if you don't already do so in future. If you get a lens dislodged, knocked out etc, obviously wash your hands, clean the lens thoroughly before you pop it back in and squirt the solution directly into your eye to help avoid any irritation or infection. This is probably common sense anyway but you might just be overly susceptible to eye infections. Like i said, i've been very lucky in that respect.
    If you just use daily disposables, you probably don't have the "all-in-one" lens cleaning solution but i'm sure you could easily buy some.

If all else fails, stop training with those dirty, smelly bastards at Morecambe MMA

I use the monthly disposable lenses too, have trained in them for about 2 years and never had any problems.

I have had lenses come out whilst training and have just cleaned them and put put them straight back in and this hasnt caused any problems for me.

i don't wear contacts but have had a couple of eye infections from training, usually when i get something from the mat in an eye, last one was due to a scratch from a gi.
    never had a real problem, just use drops for a few days.

Cheers guys, it's clearing up a bit now but still no lenses. I use monthly disposables and am changing to peroxide solution which should be better for killing nasty things ,I can't take them out of the solution within 6 hours though or will burn my eyes Planning on taking them out as soon after training as possible.

And lol Cheesy, they aren't "that" smelly

Laser eye surgery....its the future!

Troll hater.

I have Astigmatism and wear glasses permanently unless sleeping...I feel dizzy when hitting bag or grappling and seriously blurred vision...Ar contacts ok for training in and fighting in??? Never used them and wore glasses for 3yrs?? cheers
    I'm done with chasin trolls

I don't think I can have surgery due to my prescription

I have astigmatism too Simmy, it's possible to get Toric contacts, that's what I have and I think I have quite a high prescription too. I can't see a thing when I have no glasses on, everything is horribly blurred like you, not good at all! I wonder now how I managed before contacts as I used to go without glasses a lot, mainly for vanity reasons Wish I hadn't as my sight probably suffered as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by simmy View Post
    I have Astigmatism and wear glasses permanently unless sleeping...I feel dizzy when hitting bag or grappling and seriously blurred vision...Ar contacts ok for training in and fighting in??? Never used them and wore glasses for 3yrs?? cheers
    I'd say for the fast majority of times they are fine. I couldn't imagine not training with contact lenses in because i'm so accustomed to having clear vision when grappling and sparring. I'm short sighted and my vision is very blurry without lenses. To be honest, i don't even notice when my contact lenses are in. The lens people use now are soft, designed for comfort and are 'breathable'. People used to use glass contact lenses a few years but i think these have been phased out all together. It would not have been wise to train with them in.

I've been hit in the face and eye very hard at times when i've worn lenses and the lens hasn't moved at all. Other times something brushes against my eye very gently and my lens dislodges slghtly but it doesn't happen that often.. but like Lee said, get laser eye treatment (if you can afford it, which i can't right now).

Troll hater.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy peas please View Post
    I'd say for the fast majority of times they are fine. I couldn't imagine not training with contact lenses in because i'm so accustomed to having clear vision when grappling and sparring. I'm short sighted and my vision is very blurry without lenses. To be honest, i don't even notice when my contact lenses are in. The lens people use now are soft, designed for comfort and are 'breathable'. People used to use glass contact lenses a few years but i think these have been phased out all together. It would not have been wise to train with them in.

I've been hit in the face and eye very hard at times when i've worn lenses and the lens hasn't moved at all. Other times something brushes against my eye very gently and my lens dislodges slghtly but it doesn't happen that often.. but like Lee said, get laser eye treatment (if you can afford it, which i can't right now).

Thanks Lou and Cheesy...I cannot have eye surgery, as i had a pituitary tumor a few yrs back and i thought that was causing my headaches and eye probs...now i reakon the headaches were due to astigmatism and the need for glasses..i remember when bas rutten fought kevin randleman, he said his contact flew out...so i guess eye probs are more common than i thought...i will try and train with blurred vision i think :-( Thanks
    I'm done with chasin trolls