Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Training yourself

  1. #11
    Prince of Bel-Air Leesin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Harlow, Essex
    Posts
    2,850

    Default

    Tough to learn techniques the right ways off of videos etc, i am sure one in 10,000 people might be able to but your best bet is like what everyone else said, go to the judo class or something and you can stick at your lifting and cardio . You just dont want to teach yourself bad technique, because youll imprint it on your brain and youll end up keep using bad technique. Good look with reaching an MMA gym !

  2. #12

    Default

    I would say it is useless learning anything from instructionals off of the internet, they aren't always very accurate, and a lot of the time you may think you're doing something correct, and you're not... Like has already been said. If you don't get the basics down right, you'll be wasting your time. You need to either get yourself down a gym or get yourself a private lesson with an instructor who will teach you at any location you choose.
    Seriously, don't take the same route as most wannabe fighters who hit a puncbag and work out at a gym, therefore proclaiming that it makes them fighters. Actually learn how to fight properly.

  3. #13
    Pro Fighter
    Allan "No" Love
    Dinky Ninja
    Allan Shrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet J View Post
    I'm about to sound pretty negative here, but bear with me.

    For a start, Freak is correct. Leraning the basics properly is the key to being good at MMA, which is why people who learn the basics off books/youtube/mates/etc tend to be shit when they start MMA properly (if they ever do). This is also a problem for people who decide to go and do 'another style' until they can get to MMA (look, it's either MMA or it's not), because you inevitably fall back to your basics, and if that's 'hands-down-by-your-waist' karate stance, or 'roll-your punches' kung-fu striking then that's what you'll do. Obvious exceptions (for some) may be boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, etc, but even these can be detrimental.

    So here's the thing. In a lot of respects (and some people will disagree with me here). You're probably better off not trying to do any MMA stuff until you can get somewhere that will show you the basics properly, even if it's once a week to start out. That way, if you have to train on your own you'll at least know you're doing it right and not fucking yourself up for down the line.
    Sorry but I can't follow your argument that learning another art is detrimental to your MMA abilities, especialy when you say things like MT, Boxing and Judo can be detrimental. Surely since the vast majority of top fighters have a single art base that they have developed into an MMA game the evidence flies against what you're saying.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Emmet J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lancaster and Morecambe MMA
    Posts
    1,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Shrek View Post
    Sorry but I can't follow your argument that learning another art is detrimental to your MMA abilities, especialy when you say things like MT, Boxing and Judo can be detrimental. Surely since the vast majority of top fighters have a single art base that they have developed into an MMA game the evidence flies against what you're saying.
    The vast majority of top fighters have a single art base from years ago plus a considerable amount of time dedicated purely to MMA-based training which has rid them of the detrimental effects and problems (in most cases). And note that I did say detrimental and not fatal.

    I'm pretty sure that even Randy Couture had to train for a good while before he stopped naturally giving away his back, and you still see plenty of very good boxers get sat on their arse by sloppy takedowns simply because boxing footwork does not suit MMA.

    You can teach an old dog new tricks, but it's not easy to do. When you practice something long enough it becomes second nature, and that's great if you're a boxer doing boxing (for example) but if your second nature is such that you only think about your hands and not your legs then that can become detrimental later on if you switch sports to say Thai or MMA.

    Training other combat sports for MMA isn't the worst thing in the world, but if you have the choice of doing that or MMA, I'd say wait for MMA, and you're more likely to end up an all-round athlete like the current generation of top fighters who have done just that, such as G.S.P. and BJ Penn.

    Just because people have been doing it that way in MMA for years (and getting by as a result of doing it), doesn't mean it's the best way to do it, or even a good idea.
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

  5. #15

    Default

    How can people say instructionals are useless ?

    What a load of shit, it may not be as effective as having someone there showing you the moves and correcting your technique but it's a damn good alternative if you don't have a coach or if you want to expand your game.

    The reason most people cant get anything from watching instructionals is because they do just that....watch them.

    Without eager training partners and lots of time to drill the techniques then yeah maybe they're pretty useless but I have learned a lot from them.

  6. #16

    Default

    JamieTaylor = correct.

    greets
    self trained bum i guess
    Insert whiny message

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet J View Post
    The vast majority of top fighters have a single art base from years ago plus a considerable amount of time dedicated purely to MMA-based training which has rid them of the detrimental effects and problems (in most cases). And note that I did say detrimental and not fatal.

    I'm pretty sure that even Randy Couture had to train for a good while before he stopped naturally giving away his back, and you still see plenty of very good boxers get sat on their arse by sloppy takedowns simply because boxing footwork does not suit MMA.

    You can teach an old dog new tricks, but it's not easy to do. When you practice something long enough it becomes second nature, and that's great if you're a boxer doing boxing (for example) but if your second nature is such that you only think about your hands and not your legs then that can become detrimental later on if you switch sports to say Thai or MMA.

    Training other combat sports for MMA isn't the worst thing in the world, but if you have the choice of doing that or MMA, I'd say wait for MMA, and you're more likely to end up an all-round athlete like the current generation of top fighters who have done just that, such as G.S.P. and BJ Penn.

    Just because people have been doing it that way in MMA for years (and getting by as a result of doing it), doesn't mean it's the best way to do it, or even a good idea.

    you're incinuating that GSP and BJ 'waited' for MMA, or just training MMA when it's one of the most obvious points that BJ was a BJJ guy for years before entering the sport and GSP was a highly experienced karate guy.

    you're not gonna become the best stand up fighter or grappler or wrestler just from doing MMA sessions, you'd need to focus on them individually to reap the same kind of benefits, not just waterede down version in a mixed class. putting them all together is just another part of the puzzle.




    oh and instructionals are good

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    you're incinuating that GSP and BJ 'waited' for MMA, or just training MMA when it's one of the most obvious points that BJ was a BJJ guy for years before entering the sport and GSP was a highly experienced karate guy.

    you're not gonna become the best stand up fighter or grappler or wrestler just from doing MMA sessions, you'd need to focus on them individually to reap the same kind of benefits, not just waterede down version in a mixed class. putting them all together is just another part of the puzzle.




    oh and instructionals are good
    Yeah ... what he said

  9. #19
    Senior Member Rob T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    9,171

    Default

    GSP also says he still trains everything separately, just doing MMA sparring once a week and then more often coming up to fights.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    GSP also says he still trains everything separately, just doing MMA sparring once a week and then more often coming up to fights.
    And he called that his mistake

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfCjcH30vzk
    Insert whiny message

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.