Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any good sports pyschology books?

Possibly Killed Micheal Jackson

Default Any good sports pyschology books?

Just wondered if anyone could recommend any good sports psychology books?

I have problems with self doubt and confidence.I had a horrible bout of no confidence at training last night, I know I do it to myself but at the moment I am working out how to sort it out. I have excellent teachers and a very patient training partner, but wondered if there's anything worth reading out there. I generally don't find "self help" books worth reading ,but I just need something.
    I get a similar thing when skiing.I'm pretty competent but freeze at the top of black runs and I just think " I can't do this!".

THing is ,when I am ok, I am great, I step up and roll with anyone really, but there are just these crippling moments every now and again that just set me back ages and I think about quitting for no good reason.

Help!!!!

Hi Lou, when i was wrestling i used a book called 90% mental that i got off the grapplers gym website(which i think you have to pay for).
    i have a paper copy(sorry i can't find the PDF) which i can get copied for you and post it to your address.
    PM your address and i'll send a copy to you. I am CRB checked with no sex crimes only violent ones involving street brawling(with a few cans of stella in me lol)
    It really is an awesome book that involves aspects such as motivation, willpower, confidence and other stuff. i read i before every tournament to help with the psychological side of things.
    If anyone has a PDF copy feel free to send me and Lou a copy

Leeroy Barnes
    Pro Fighter

whats the book name and author name. or publisher?
    Wolfslair MMA

Yeah that would be useful.

Maybe I just need a clout around the ear and someone to tell me to quit being such a big girl

boxingbrit

Can i just have your address? I aint got any decent books to send.

Yeah PDF me a copy too!!!!!
    Team War4Sure, Full Time MMA Gym In Gravesend, Kent

Lol

yeah it's .............

I have a book called "Feel the fear and do it anyway" thats an all round book but not started it yet. SUppose I should get round to it as a few people have said it's good,just looks a bit hippy like and off putting. It has no pictures in

Lads i couldn't tell you who wrote it, i got it off the grapplers gym website. i think the guys name was Mike fry or something.
    i just have a paper copy and no PDF.
    Geoff Thompsons stuff is good as well like " Fear" and "Small wars"

Right after a quick google you can get the book here www.90percentmental.com. as said i think you have to pay for it.
    Last edited by wrestlewar; 12-08-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Using the internet thingy

Hardy, Jones & Gould:
    Understanding Psychological Preparation for Sport.
    Wiley Press:

Its an academic book; but pretty readable and contains an overview of the research in each field of sports psychology... you cant go wrong with it.

I have a problem with self help style psychological texts because they are usually written by people with self efficacy issues hence why they are so interested in the topic in the first place