Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salty sweat?

Dave Bownds
    Pro Fighter

Default Salty sweat?

Today whilst training I licked my lip and noticed my sweat was very salty (more so than usual... not that I am a sweat connoisseur or anything!). I know this is the case with sweat but it just made me wonder if this is an indication of anything - ie does very salty or unsalty sweat indicate any sort of electrolyte excess/deficiency?

you're a strange one kid
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Dave Bownds
    Pro Fighter

ha ha

was wondering if it was linked to my cripplingly painful calf cramps?!
    Last edited by Badnews; 04-12-2011 at 02:24 AM.

...yes, I have also noticed how salty a dog's nob is in comparison to most sweat

The saltiness of your sweat can vary with a number of factors.

Dietary intake, environmental conditions, training intensity, hydration status etc. There is however a very large variation between different inderviduals and from what i've measured sweat sodium can be from anywhere from 10mmol/ litre (~0.5g salt) to 100 mmol/litre (5 g salt/ litre). So if you sweat 2-3 litres during a training session you can lose a significant amount of salt in your sweat and this can be made a lot worse if you haven't rehydrated and replaced lost sodium from a previous training session.

And yes, generally it is the saltiest sweaters who are more likely to suffer from cramps.
    Looks like Olive Oyl, hits like Popeye

www.leicestershootfighters.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by DanCrase View Post
    ...yes, I have also noticed how salty a dog's nob is in comparison to most sweat
    hahah lmao!!

Dave Bownds
    Pro Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by LewisJ View Post
    The saltiness of your sweat can vary with a number of factors.

Dietary intake, environmental conditions, training intensity, hydration status etc. There is however a very large variation between different inderviduals and from what i've measured sweat sodium can be from anywhere from 10mmol/ litre (~0.5g salt) to 100 mmol/litre (5 g salt/ litre). So if you sweat 2-3 litres during a training session you can lose a significant amount of salt in your sweat and this can be made a lot worse if you haven't rehydrated and replaced lost sodium from a previous training session.

And yes, generally it is the saltiest sweaters who are more likely to suffer from cramps.
    I presume then that this means the harder you train the saltier your sweat is? Or if youre slightly dehydrated its saltier? Or both?.... or am I just being thick... again.

Quote Originally Posted by Badnews View Post
    I presume then that this means the harder you train the saltier your sweat is? Or if youre slightly dehydrated its saltier? Or both?.... or am I just being thick... again.
    generally yes and yes, but it's more the amount of sodium that you lose that is important, so it's very lightly linked to your sweat rate. So you can have a lower sweat sodium concentration, but sweat at a higher rate and therefore lose a lot more sodium. The sort of people that are really at risk are those that have a high sweat rate and high sweat sodium concentration.

how often do you train?

Duplicate post

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanCrase View Post
    proper lol, quality
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'