Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight Problems

have a look at maximizehealthandwealth.usana.com try the reset program

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Hey Blue, what year did you box with the army?

I'll be sparring with them again in a week's time now they're back after summer break, train 3xweek with the current coach (but on grappling!) and enjoyed being on the judo skills course all week...

Gotta love the army lads, a right good bunch!

Smiler

Hi Gary,

I was never at an exceptional level mate. Just inter Company boxing. Not very technical, it was mostly all about fitness and aggression. And eating fucking cabbage for most meals.

Looking back, we were getting paid for training and sleeping all day.

Didn't appreciate it fully. We just saw it as getting fucking beasted to death all day.

Glad you're enjoying it mate.

Be safe.

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Lol, sounds like you had fun though!

At least you've escaped what the boxers will be facing next week when they are back - I've been laughing with Darren Dugan and Chris Bessey (the current coaches) as we've been going over the programme - the lads will ache by the 2nd day, let alone the end of the first week!

Talk about a shock for them...

Anyone who has boxed in the army gets my respect, I think its much tougher than just going to a local club, too much pride and nutty never say die army lads lol!

Well done for your efforts!

I've been in the PT school Aldershot all week - you ever get over their, or do the Flagstaff Hill/Long Valley training grounds?

Smiler

I'm out now mate, and was based in Germany/Bosnia for most of my time apart from when I spent a few months in the Army nick in Colchester.

Again, I didn't realise how good I had it. The regime in Colly (MCTC) is basically a complete fucking beastathon. PT twice a day and beastings on the parade square in between.

I'd pay good money to get locked up again now. Lose some of this beef!

Been out for a few years now, but I'm looking at joining the TA to get some training with a view to starting a new career.

* by the way, it's absolutely fantastic to have pro fighters like yourself who will interact with and advise fans like this. Thanks. *

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

No sweat Blue, I'm a fan too - we're all in it together, fighters, general trainers, fans, whatever! Nout makes anyone better than anyone else!

The worst thing is, its impossible for us civvies to understand the actual real work the army do...most don't have a clue...I've grown up around the army (but never served) mixing with them since 1976, currently training with the army judo guys, the PT School fellas, and spar each week (in season) with the army boxing team, am involved with a post-traumatic stress disorder charity...so I have a pretty good idea of the current and past state of plays...I honestly think that the general public have no idea as to the extent of the work you do (have done), the conditions you have to do it under, and the effect on the people behind the uniforms....

I take my hat of to you for serving!

Smiler

stay off the pastys mate ther are loads ov callories in pastys and instead ov sandwhich try scramble egg on toast

Dinky Ninja
    Paul McVeigh
    Pro Fighter

Default fat loss

Hey dude if you are really wanting to shift excess bodyfat theres a few things that might have a more pronounced effect.

1. Nutrition
    Its the single best thing you can do to change body composition there just isnt a way to outtrain a crappy diet. The advice given by the others on this thread is ace. Personally what i do is eat every 3 hours and base my meals round a protein source and conciously try to add as many fruit and veg as i can to these meals. If anyones interested ill stick up what im eating its well tasty.

2. Resistance Training
    Resistance training is awesome at burning fat, it creates a metabolic disturbance which elevates resting metabolic rate for a prolonged period after the workout. Although aerobic exercise may burn more calories within the time frame of the workout than resistance training, the subsequent 36hrs or so of elevated RMR more than makes up for it.

Big compound movements done within the hypertrophy rep ranges of 8-12 seems to work best.

3. High Intensity Interval training.
    Its quick and nasty but it get the job done, all the studies ive seen seem to show that Highinitensity interval training results in a greater fat loss when compared to lower intensity/ longer duration work. Again this is based around the elevation of metabolic rate.

4. Aerobic work.
    I honestly feel that Long distance running is the last thing that should be done to drop fat mass. With time you will become a much more efficient runner making you burn less calories over the same distance. I think this modality is popular among boxers and other combat sports guys as it doesnt affect recovery or more important workouts. If your traininga couple of hours a day hard adding high intensity intervals might not be the best idea from a recovery stand point.

If you only do one thing hit the nutrition side of things hard, if you have few hours to spare during the week add in some resistance training (this could be bodyweight stuff if you dont have access to weights), at the end throw in some interval training and then if you have time during your week add the 5K runs.

Hope this Brain fart helps.
    MMA Strength, Conditioning and Awesomeness Blog- UPDATED 8/2/11 Random Musings prior to actual content http://maccavelli.wordpress.com/