Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: is being submitted in mma embarssing

If you tap in training and get embrassed then you aint left your ego at the door try to learn from why you got tapped or your mate and next time try something diffrent if you are getting tapped then you are training with people that you are going to learn from as some one else stated if you are not getting tapped then you are never going to improve and have real trouble when you come to stepin in the cage or ring
    Learn from your mistakes and the next obstacle will be easier than the last

we all have a right to our opinion so voice it

If you're not tapping in training then either you're the best ground fighter in the world OR you're not training with the right guys.
    As Rogan said during last UFC Palahares regularly taps out Big Nog!!

In fighting some people have this bizarre preference to having bones broken or being put to sleep.
    I don't understand this at the top level, when Fedor had Big Tim in a choke he knew he was beat & tapped out. I certainly don't understand this idea on lower level fighter who generally have a second job & can't afford a serious injury.

nothing wrong about getting it tapped

Quote Originally Posted by bigleeroy1 View Post
    its true that that you do feel violated when rolling with tom or lucasz, dave faulkner is the same but he is far more smoother and gentle, its like when your uncle tells you its ok im your uncle dave and i love you..... now dont tell mummy!!!
    It's not embarrassing to be tapped necessarily. What may be embarrassing, however, is to get to the semi-finals of a national grappling tournament, and then you're 'friend', who you let stay at your house, eat your flap jacks, read you comics, and then drove to the tournament with you...

... farts on your head loudly before winking to the cameras, and armbarring you. That's embarrassing, trust me.

Ask Dave what I'm talking about - he didn't always used to be so gentle!
    www.kaobon.com home of TEAM KAOBON MMA/MUAYTHAI

Quote Originally Posted by 20glen78 View Post
    If you tap in training and get embrassed then you aint left your ego at the door try to learn from why you got tapped or your mate and next time try something diffrent if you are getting tapped then you are training with people that you are going to learn from as some one else stated if you are not getting tapped then you are never going to improve and have real trouble when you come to stepin in the cage or ring
    I do agree, but sometimes when you get owned and for instance say you've been put in a guilotine and you've been struggling to get out, and when you tap your face is blood shot red i certainly feel a bit embarassed.

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

In fighting some people have this bizarre preference to having bones broken or being put to sleep.
    I don't understand this at the top level, when Fedor had Big Tim in a choke he knew he was beat & tapped out. I certainly don't understand this idea on lower level fighter who generally have a second job & can't afford a serious injury.
    It's rarely a straight choice between tapping and getting something broken or passing out though.

With a joint lock, the damage usually happens when a fighter is in a situation where s/he believes (perhaps misguidedly) that s/he can get out of the lock, or perhaps that the other fighter is on the point of giving up on it / doesn't have the strength left to break it.

With a strangle, I'd go so far as to say that it's usually worth waiting it out if you can because there's often a chance that the other guy is about to give up the choke / run out of time / burn out his arms. As long as the referee is on the ball when you pass out, you don't have too much to worry about. The "hold your breath and hope he gives up before you pass out" defence is underrated as a last resort IMO

I can see it from both perspectives... it's down to the fighter at the end of the day and I wouldn't criticize someone for either tapping or not tapping. After all, they're the one who has to live with the consequences.

[edit to add: I'm talking about in a fight here. Not tapping in training is just retarded]

In answer to the OP, no, tapping out in a fight is no more embarrassing than getting stopped or KOd....
    Last edited by Rosi; 20-09-2008 at 08:34 PM.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

What happens if you're being choked and pretend to pass out? The referee would stop the fight without you ever actually becoming unconcious, couldn't the fighter who lost then claim the fight was incorrectly stopped?

Just hurry up and tap and get started again and try and learn from it. Its stupid that so many people would rather wait till they are in agony before tapping, thinking that they could have got out of it when all they did is lay there, have their hand ready to tap...... then finally tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Hutch View Post
    What happens if you're being choked and pretend to pass out? The referee would stop the fight without you ever actually becoming unconcious, couldn't the fighter who lost then claim the fight was incorrectly stopped?

Thats a great point Ben & a smooth move that I can see a few Pro's using from now on

Although I do recall bas Rutten saying he used to make choking noises when in a guillotine when he wasnt in trouble to blag his oppo

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Hutch View Post
    Nope, if you look unconscious and you're not giving the referee any response when he asks "are you ok?" then he's right to stop the fight, whether or not you've actually passed out.

I've seen it work in training, but really not a good idea... you don't want to be the boy that cried wolf and end up as a vegetable if one day you happen to get choked out for real.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation