Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Leo Negao Lineage

  1. #1

    Default Leo Negao Lineage

    Who gave Leo Negao his blackbelt?

    He has trained at Carlson Gracie, Alliance, Ricardo Viera and BTT.

    Some say he got it from Carlson Gracie but he is not on the official list of blackbelts that Carlson Gracie put out:

    http://riograpplingclub.wordpress.co...ck-belts-list/

  2. #2

    Default

    iirc it is Romero 'Jacare' Cavalcanti, the Alliance founder.

    That was listed on BJJ.org as well iirc.

  3. #3

    Default

    Any idea why Nelson Solari isn't on that list?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by el.pee.dubblya View Post
    Any idea why Nelson Solari isn't on that list?
    Sometimes people will say they are Carlson Gracie but actually it's one of Carlson Gracie's blackbelts that gave them the blackbelt. Or that misinformation is on the internet when you do a search.

    For example Ze Marcello (BTT UK) got his from Sergio de Boloa Souza. Bolao got his directly from Carlson Gracie. But sometimes I have seen it written that he is a Carlson Gracie Blackbelt on the internet.

    Now why would people do this?
    Well Carlson Gracie is more well known and the Gracie name is more well known so people might want to be associated with that more than a name that people who are not into Jiu Jitsu might not be familiar with.

  5. #5

    Default

    Ah. I see......thanks for clearing that up.

    Therefore Nelson's true lineage would in effect be Carlson Gracie - ? - Nelson Solari.

    It's funny..........I thought it was widely accepted that Nelson received his BB from Carlson directly. I'm obviously not knocking the validity of his belt, it's just interesting that a BB as well known as Nelson wouldn't be completely open about his lineage (after all it's how you perform on the mat that justifies your belt - not who gave it to you). Besides I don't think anyone would question the validity of Nelson's grade.

  6. #6

    Default

    As i recall, it was common for all black belts given in his team to have the blessing of Carlson Sr, regardless of whether he physically handed the belt over.

    Nelson is clear about his lineage in this interview: http://www.onthemat.com/articles/Nel...07_page_3.html

    Nelson: Sergio Penha was Osvaldo Alves’ best student; his game is something very, very different. I don’t know how to say it……Just different, very DIFFERENT. Anyway I stayed for one year with Sergio Penha at his academy then I had some problems at the academy and I was a Brown Belt, when I asked Amaury, ‘where can I go now?’. Well he talked to Carlson, at that time the head teacher at the academy was Liborio and Bebeo Duarte and they accepted me at the academy and I went on to be awarded the black belt from Ricardo Liborio and Bebeo Duarte under the supervision and permission of Carlson Gracie.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by el.pee.dubblya View Post
    Ah. I see......thanks for clearing that up.

    Therefore Nelson's true lineage would in effect be Carlson Gracie - ? - Nelson Solari.

    It's funny..........I thought it was widely accepted that Nelson received his BB from Carlson directly. I'm obviously not knocking the validity of his belt, it's just interesting that a BB as well known as Nelson wouldn't be completely open about his lineage (after all it's how you perform on the mat that justifies your belt - not who gave it to you). Besides I don't think anyone would question the validity of Nelson's grade.
    Solari did train at Carlson Gracie's but he got his black from Ricardo Liborio and Bebeo Duarte. Alot of times if you actually read what people say in different interiews, what they say is true but someone who doesn't know may get the impression that they got the blackbelt from Carlson Gracie.
    Here is what he said in an OTM interview:

    "I stayed for one year with Sergio Penha at his academy then I had some problems at the academy and I was a Brown Belt, when I asked Amaury, ‘where can I go now?’. Well he talked to Carlson, at that time the head teacher at the academy was Liborio and Bebeo Duarte and they accepted me at the academy and I went on to be awarded the black belt from Ricardo Liborio and Bebeo Duarte under the supervision and permission of Carlson Gracie."

    http://onthemat.com/articles/Nelson_...07_page_3.html

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Sho View Post
    iirc it is Romero 'Jacare' Cavalcanti, the Alliance founder.

    That was listed on BJJ.org as well iirc.
    Thanks,

    BJJ.org does say that although BJJ.org has been known to be wrong as well.
    I can't seem to verify the Negao-Calvancanti tie anywhere else so it is still a little bit in doubt although it does seem possible. Some interview by Negao or Calvancanti confirming this would be good.

    http://web.archive.org/web/200604271...g/lineage.html

  9. #9

    Default

    If i remember correctly in Calvancanti's book he lists his black belts and i think leo negao is on the list. Will look it up when i get home to make sure.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benws View Post
    If i remember correctly in Calvancanti's book he lists his black belts and i think leo negao is on the list. Will look it up when i get home to make sure.
    We're you able to check your book?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.