Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We Need To End This Circus

Default We Need To End This Circus

So there has been a lot of talk about the recent Abdul Mohammed vs. Ross Pearson fight. By all accounts this was a very close fight. But here is my beef;

One of the judges of this fight was John Joe O’Regan, Fighters Only’s web content manager. John also happened to do an event report for this card. Only also Featured the Lair on a recent cover, in my view this creates a conflict of interest. I have no problem with John at all, he shouldn’t even have been put in this situation in the first place.

The main point is journalists who play a prevalent part in the scene should not be judging fights. In their job they strike up relationships with these fighters. Where else would something like this happen ? Timbucktoo maybe.

To be seen as serious players we really need to sort stuff like this out

This is not a dig at anyone directly more an indictment on how the sport is run in some places.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzy View Post
    So there has been a lot of talk about the recent Abdul Mohammed vs. Ross Pearson fight. By all accounts this was a very close fight. But here is my beef;

One of the judges of this fight was John Joe O’Regan, Fighters Only’s web content manager. John also happened to do an event report for this card. Only also Featured the Lair on a recent cover, in my view this creates a conflict of interest. I have no problem with John at all, he shouldn’t even have been put in this situation in the first place.

The main point is journalists who play a prevalent part in the scene should not be judging fights. In their job they strike up relationships with these fighters. Where else would something like this happen ? Timbucktoo maybe.

To be seen as serious players we really need to sort stuff like this out
    As Aaron C and I think a few others pointed out on another thread, trying to find a judge who is sufficiently MMA savvy, yet couldn't be perceived as biased one way or another is like trying to find jurors for the OJ Simpson trial.

ALL 3 JUDGES scored this fight the same, non? I've not seen the fight yet, so won't comment on it; amazing the amount of respected scene members who don't share this rudimentary logic.

I would have thought someone like John is a great choice for an MMA judge.

Talking of bias, you wouldn't happen to be an MMA journalist yourself would you? Just a wild guess.
    www.kaobon.com home of TEAM KAOBON MMA/MUAYTHAI

Quote Originally Posted by Waterboy View Post
    As Aaron C and I think a few others pointed out on another thread, trying to find a judge who is sufficiently MMA savvy, yet couldn't be perceived as biased one way or another is like trying to find jurors for the OJ Simpson trial.

ALL 3 JUDGES scored this fight the same, non? I've not seen the fight yet, so won't comment on it; amazing the amount of respected scene members who don't share this rudimentary logic.

Talking of bias, you wouldn't happen to be an MMA journalist yourself would you? Just a wild guess.
    John, would be a great judge with his experience and knowledge of the sport. BUT he works for a leading name in the scene. That is a major conflict of interests. The fight may have been scored correctly, John shouldn't be judging plain and simple.

when abdul drew v andre no one mentioned it why is this esculated soo much drop it
    Student of the Art

I think they are valid points you have raised. But arn't events self moderated

Quote Originally Posted by Raoh View Post
    I think they are valid points you have raised. But arn't events self moderated
    Yes, here lies the big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzy View Post
    John shouldn't be judging plain and simple.
    Oh, when you put it plain and simple, how could I possibly have disagreed? My bad.

<backing away from argument and going to bed>
    www.kaobon.com home of TEAM KAOBON MMA/MUAYTHAI

Quote Originally Posted by Waterboy View Post

John is a great bloke and dont take this any other way than its being said, i do not see it this way, i believe John scored it as he seen it, but several people, respected people in the sport have rang me today and asked why John, who works for a mag who of recent times have been all over the Wolfs Lair was allowed to Judge a Wolfs lair fighter. i personally had no problem with John being a judge, it would of not bothered me if Hywell was a judge, if i had any issues i would of brought them up before the fight and im sure chris would of changed them, but other people have obviously raised issues with it, and if anything me as a promotor will look at this issue for future shows as in the past we have had reporters including Hywell (i think) judging reporting and commentating on our shows,

Ross Pearson was sponsored by MMA Unlimited, if someone from MMA Unlimited was judgeing that fight and a controvertial decission was made people would be saying the saying the same thing.

I would never ask anyone who has an affiliation to any fighter to judge that fighter or that teams fighter, not because i believe there judgement would be swayed, but because it stops argements like this.
    Last edited by coventrywarrior; 06-10-2008 at 01:39 AM.
    Andy Lillis, Former Cagewarriors President

Quote Originally Posted by brawler4life View Post
    when abdul drew v andre no one mentioned it why is this esculated soo much drop it
    Are you joking, i was still dealing with that senario a month later, sending videos and re runs and dealing with e mails
    Andy Lillis, Former Cagewarriors President