Thread: Acceptance of female MMA

Hybrid View

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Default Acceptance of female MMA

I had a conversation with someone recently which made me think. It was about why some shows won't have female fights on their card. This person commented that although he personally was in favour, there were people who were worried that it might damage the sport's acceptance with the public. With MMA just starting to be recognised, showing a women's fight might set that back.

This seems to me to be a dubious argument. Sport as a whole is moving in the direction of more equality. Having a thriving women's scene increases, rather than decreases, the legitimacy of what we do. What's more - excluding women undermines our arguments for the acceptance of MMA. Whenever people try to demonise MMA, we come up with lots of arguments why it's a good thing (or at the very least not a bad one). And every one of those arguments applies equally to female MMA. We claim it is safe, that it's not about mindless violence, that like any sport it's about technique, athleticism, conditioning, hard training and dedication, and that it has physical, mental and emotional benefits to those who take part. So - why not have the courage of our convictions? To claim these things, but shy away from following them through to their logical conclusion just gives fuel to those who would dismiss us all as a bunch of violent thugs.

I also think that in this country we're way ahead on this one. A couple of weeks ago i fought on cagewarriors, it was the first fight on the show and it was exactly the same rounds and rules as all the other title fights. It is to the credit of the show, not to mention the audience and the MMA scene as a whole, that this was (as far as i am aware) accepted as perfectly normal and healthy. In fact, it wasn't until several days later that i stopped to think about it and reflected on how far we've come in the last few years since i started competing.

What we need now is get more women involved and build up a wider base of home grown talent. In order to do that, we need the public to see that we're here. Fortunately there are shows like CW with the courage to make that happen.

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

I think there is only Cage Rage that doesn't have female bouts and they posted their reasons a while ago.
    remind me....

Rosi would beat the shit outa me. I don't see how it should be ok for me to fight on a show if I consented but not Rosi.
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Goodbye fond memories
    FUCK THE ALLIANCE

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

I'd hate to go a female MMA night and have to watch overweight, orange geezers walking round in their pants between each round.
    I just spat orange juice all over my computer keyboard when i read that lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rosi
    I just spat orange juice all over my computer keyboard when i read that lol
    bwahahahahaha

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

In theory that's a good point.

In practise, the kind of women who tend to be attracted to "women's only" classes are not generally those who will go on to fight at a high level. In terms of increasing the standard of competitive women's MMA, it's not just about getting more numbers in.

At the end of the day, there will always be fewer women interested in combat sports than men. But other combat sports - judo, thai boxing etc - do a bit better than MMA, largely because they've been around longer and women are more aware of them as possibilities.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

My son won't pay and travel to CW for a different reason, the one he and his friends went to they couldn't see very much because there were cameramen and photographers in the way.
    People moan about this, buts all part of the reality of going to a live show. You have to realise you won't see everything as clearly as on TV regardless of where you're sat.

One thing is for sure I think UK MMA has evloved as 2 nearly 3 years ago i complained about not seeing much at a show and all kinds of abuse and phsyical threats However i still went to shows.

As for the women issue yeah having "lesbian" sex shows at events may not be to everyone's taste and may upset people and it may be deemed as unprofessional. Does this happen at Strike Force now....no it don't, sadly it was one of those things that happened in the dark ages of MMA. But it was just 1 thing out of a whole host of things that was wrong with MMA then. I started writing a big list of things that was poor then, but i won;t post it becuase i'll just get more threats and get told once again that i have an agenda.

I do still object at some of the remarks made about events that happened over 2 years ago, and if they stop you going to our show, which has evolved a great deal since then, then its a shame but we can't force you. We'll have to convince you otherwise by carry on doing what we do at the moment and produce more top class MMA shows at the skydome and make those comments look even more invaild.