Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First fight nerves

Default First fight nerves

Been training MMA for near a year now, A pro fighter I train with has suggested I have my first Amatuer fight in Feb . Im not shitting my shorts or anything, but a few butterflies are fluttering. Im excited and obviously looking forward to the experiance. Anyone else in a similar position.

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Essentially fear is adrenalin, which comes in many forms. You are currently feeling slow release.

As with most things, knowledge is power... so I suggest you do some research in to what 'fear' is. Once you understand what is physically happeniing and you have some techniques for handling it, you will feel much better. Remember, ALL fighters feel this.

I can suggest two books:

Fear: The friend of exceptional people by Geoff Thompson
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fear-Friend-...0074164&sr=1-2

It's quite lightweight, you will read it in no time at all, but it will be highly beneficial

a slightly more in depth read is Feel the fear and do it anyway by Susan Jeffers
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feel-Fear-An...0074260&sr=1-1

Thanks, Ill do just that. Is that Geoff Thompson the doorman/Judo bloke.
    Ive just looked at amazon and watch my back is the book Ive read.

Pro Fighter

Yes, it is that Geoff Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by ReD_mIst View Post
    Essentially fear is adrenalin, which comes in many forms. You are currently feeling slow release.

As with most things, knowledge is power... so I suggest you do some research in to what 'fear' is. Once you understand what is physically happeniing and you have some techniques for handling it, you will feel much better. Remember, ALL fighters feel this.

I can suggest two books:

Fear: The friend of exceptional people by Geoff Thompson
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fear-Friend-...0074164&sr=1-2

It's quite lightweight, you will read it in no time at all, but it will be highly beneficial

a slightly more in depth read is Feel the fear and do it anyway by Susan Jeffers
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feel-Fear-An...0074260&sr=1-1
    i know this is a bit off topic but do you know what a good book for looking back at submissions/ holds you've learnt is. like an mma handbook/ reference book sort of thing?

1st fight is always nerve wracking. Have a few fights under your belt then after a while it's no big deal, it's just like going to the toilet.

Pro Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by andyt1992 View Post
    i know this is a bit off topic but do you know what a good book for looking back at submissions/ holds you've learnt is. like an mma handbook/ reference book sort of thing?
    Theres loads of books for this sort of thing. The Eddie Bravo books are good. I also have a couple of Gracie Sub wrestling books. The was a book called the Fighters Notebook. It was massive and expensive, but to be honest it is a bit dated.

When I first started MMA, I made my own note book. After training, I would then make my own notes on the techniques I learnt..... not idea where it is now though. Might be a good idea to start your own and bring it to the club.

i had my first amateure fight december gone. i remember thinking the old cheesey line that the hard thing is training and the fun thing is fighting. when you get in the cage the nerves go and you enjoy it. i won my fight and i suppose uk mma is like heroine. addictive. i have my next fight feb 14th and cant wait, enjoy the expierience m8, wots the worst that can happen.
    STUART WELLS 2-2-0

Congrats, well done and best of luck in future fights, (that about covers it). Its gonna be a busy weekend, off to see Joe Rogan doing his comic act Friday night, UFC 95 on Saturday night and then on Sunday its time to put the training to the test. With a bit of luck it could be my best weekend ever.... if everything goes to plan. I might even see if the wife fancies a little grapple when the kids go to bed, no gi of coarse.

Best of luck mate takes some balls to get in there. How many times a week do you train just out of intrest? Only asking as i've literally just started up a few weeks back.

Also where is Rogan doing his standup show?