Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First fight nerves

Before my first amateur fight I was the most nervous I had EVER been.

Although I thought in my mind ' whats the worst that can happen, its only amateur you wont get hurt ' ..I picked up the worst injury I have ever had in that very fight

Once you get in there though the nerves go and you will love every second of it ( unless you're getting beaten up / choked etc ) lol.

Good luck with it pal.

**replying to SAMMO** I train at two different places "Kita Ogawa MMA", and at "Ripped Gym MMA", both in Harlow. Both clubs are twice a week, but being married with 2 young kids, it gets hard to be out 4 nights a week training, so mostly I train 3 times a week and 4 if i can. I have a multi gym at home and a cross trainer so if Im not out training, Im upstairs getting sweaty.
    My mate is getting the tickets tomorrow for Joe Rogan, I just rung him and he said its on at the London leicester square theatre. I just googled it and found it straight away (moveeverything.com) so its easy to find.
    Last edited by Daddy D; 04-01-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Taylor View Post
    Before my first amateur fight I was the most nervous I had EVER been.

Although I thought in my mind ' whats the worst that can happen, its only amateur you wont get hurt ' ..I picked up the worst injury I have ever had in that very fight

Once you get in there though the nerves go and you will love every second of it ( unless you're getting beaten up / choked etc ) lol.

Good luck with it pal.
    LOL. I feel much better now thanks.

Few random pieces of advice for you...

Get all the kit you'll be wearing in your fight together as far ahead of time as possible. Any gumshield, shorts, cup, strapping, kneepads etc etc. Train/spar in them as much as possible leading up to your fight. You don't want any surprises from your kit on the day of the race; the experience will be foreign enough as it is without adding more odd new things to your day.

Don't let every man and his dog be milling round you in the dressing room before. Have as many or as few people around you that make you feel comfortable - no more, no less. Often lots of people who don't know the fight game mooching about asking you questions like "aren't you afraid you'll break something", or "what if you get choked out" aren't conducive to the right mindset.

When you get in the cage or ring, look around, breath in and smell the air, listen to the crowd, feel how the mat feels under your feet. Basically try and get all of your senses used to where you are. It can feel other-worldly the first few times in there and the more you let your body know this is real, the better.

Breathe. Seriously, I've forgotten to do it on a number of occasions. "Tom, fucking breathe, you've gone purple!!!"

Most importantly, enjoy it, relax, and don't get too hung up on the result. Of course you want to put your heart and soul into getting the win, but the reason you have Amateur and Semi Pro fights are for ring experience, not to build up some fearsome 10-0 record.

All the best.
    www.kaobon.com home of TEAM KAOBON MMA/MUAYTHAI

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

Get all the kit you'll be wearing in your fight together as far ahead of time as possible. Any gumshield, shorts, cup, strapping, kneepads etc etc. Train/spar in them as much as possible leading up to your fight. You don't want any surprises from your kit on the day of the race; the experience will be foreign enough as it is without adding more odd new things to your day.

Don't let every man and his dog be milling round you in the dressing room before. Have as many or as few people around you that make you feel comfortable - no more, no less. Often lots of people who don't know the fight game mooching about asking you questions like "aren't you afraid you'll break something", or "what if you get choked out" aren't conducive to the right mindset.

When you get in the cage or ring, look around, breath in and smell the air, listen to the crowd, feel how the mat feels under your feet. Basically try and get all of your senses used to where you are. It can feel other-worldly the first few times in there and the more you let your body know this is real, the better.

Breathe. Seriously, I've forgotten to do it on a number of occasions. "Tom, fucking breathe, you've gone purple!!!"

Most importantly, enjoy it, relax, and don't get too hung up on the result. Of course you want to put your heart and soul into getting the win, but the reason you have Amateur and Semi Pro fights are for ring experience, not to build up some fearsome 10-0 record.

All the best.
    excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterboy View Post

All the best.
    agreed good post especially about getting in the cage taking a deep breath and soaking up the atmosphere. best part for me
    Doni The Dragon Miller Pro 4-1 Semi Pro 6-0 Griphouse Gym

Thanks a lot, I really apreciate the advice.

steve_langford

great post Tom.

When i competed in my first fight i trained really hard and i drew both fights but the nerves leading up to the fight were bad until i got in the ring....once i was in there i concentrated on the guy in front of me as long as you get focused and train hard the hard work should pay off! Good luck for your fight aswell butt