Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First fight nerves

I found doing kickboxing comps or any comps in general are good practice to handle nerves hell i get nervous before a tennis match as much as i do before fighting, its competition wanting win brings out of you, at the start you'll feel nervous but so will your opponent best to just walm(can't believe i forgot how to spell) into the fight with a nice jab few low kicks and relax its all fun from there unless your opponent attacks like a madman which happens often in british fights.
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.

Quote Originally Posted by ReD_mIst View Post
    ...The was a book called the Fighters Notebook. It was massive and expensive, but to be honest it is a bit dated...
    I think i'll give that one a miss it nearly 100 on amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by spartan4621 View Post
    i had my first amateure fight december gone. i remember thinking the old cheesey line that the hard thing is training and the fun thing is fighting. when you get in the cage the nerves go and you enjoy it. i won my fight and i suppose uk mma is like heroine. addictive. i have my next fight feb 14th and cant wait, enjoy the expierience m8, wots the worst that can happen.
    UK MMA is like Heroin....nothing good ever comes out of it !

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

yup but we cant help wanting more

Although this he isn't talkin about first fight nerves, Frank Mir talking about pre fight nerves is a great watch and reassuring that nerves can get hold of a UFC champ;
    http://http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P7FrTkM2SXY

Quote Originally Posted by MMAddict View Post
    Although this he isn't talkin about first fight nerves, Frank Mir talking about pre fight nerves is a great watch and reassuring that nerves can get hold of a UFC champ;
    http://http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P7FrTkM2SXY
    This link doesnt work for me.
    I bought Feal the fear .. and do it anyway (as advised in an earlier reply). Its a bit of an American self help book, but I did find it interesting.
    Feeling good about the fight now that my weight is 188lbs, fighting middle so gotta get to 185lb, nearly a month to go so looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy D View Post
    Been training MMA for near a year now, A pro fighter I train with has suggested I have my first Amatuer fight in Feb . Im not shitting my shorts or anything, but a few butterflies are fluttering. Im excited and obviously looking forward to the experiance. Anyone else in a similar position.
    I had my first fight experience last october in Berlin (you can see the video). I was nervous until the weight-in when I meet my opponent, Jaime Palou. The dude was so friendly that any stress just went out...
    Of course, I still had some apprehension and some weird feelings when it came to appear in front of a motivated crowd, and when I see my opponent in front of me in the ring, with mean eyes )

Being nervous is normal but you'll see, in the moment you live the event that this is good stress and that you will just love doing what you're doing

I had alot of nerves first time round but it eased up second time
    0-3-0 f**k it one more go
    www.evolutionmma.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Captain cage man View Post
    I had alot of nerves first time round but it eased up second time
    You gonna have a third fight.

Quote Originally Posted by kainer2 View Post

its more like crack one hit and you are hooked for life
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time