Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carlson Gracie BJJ & Helio Gracie BJJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bishop View Post
    I haven't watched this Renzo documentary that everyone's raving about yet. What did you think of it ?
    I thought it was really good.... I recommend it...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    You are basing all your claims on what you have read in 'The Gracie Way'.

Yes,Roll's was an advocate of Cross Training.Who trained Rolls? Carlson.

Have you watched any of Carlson's fights?

Have you spoken to any of his Black Belts about the training regimens he had them follow?

'The Gracie Way' is a great book.Inspirational stuff,but it is one mans opinion of the Gracie's (Kid Pelligro's) and his 'favourite' Gracie's get a better
    press than others.

If i remember correctly,Relson and Rillion aren't even mentioned.
    Are you sure it was Carlson who taught rolls?

I'm sure he had an influence on Rolls, but seeing as Rolls was raised by Helio i always assumed Helio probably would have been the biggest influence on his jiujitsu.

Rolls did train and teach at Carlsons academy thou.

Roll's was sent to Carlson by Helio.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    You are basing all your claims on what you have read in 'The Gracie Way'.

Yes,Roll's was an advocate of Cross Training.Who trained Rolls? Carlson.

Have you watched any of Carlson's fights?

Have you spoken to any of his Black Belts about the training regimens he had them follow?

'The Gracie Way' is a great book.Inspirational stuff,but it is one mans opinion of the Gracie's (Kid Pelligro's) and his 'favourite' Gracie's get a better
    press than others.

If i remember correctly,Relson and Rillion aren't even mentioned.

Well, I have read the Gracie Way, and no I don't believe everything Kid wrote in that book, but I've spent six weeks at Oswaldo Alves school in Rio and I can guarantee you without any doubt that if you asked him he would tell you Rolls was a much bigger advocate of cross training than any other Gracie family member. He was better at Judo and wrestling than ANY of Carlson's top students. And I can also guarantee you that he would put what Rolls' contributed to JJ up against ANYONE else including Carlson.

I have seen Carlson fight in videos. He did not compete in wrestling tournaments. Rolls did. I did not claim Carlson didn't train Rolls but Rolls learned many things from other sources as well.

BTW, the very first JJ school I signed up at was Marcelo Alonso's who is one of Carlson's best instructors in the US.

Yes,and Roll's learn't the importance of cross training from his time being taught by Carlson.That opened his eyes to stuff that he hadn't been exposed to with Helio.
    When Roll's started teaching he took the idea of cross training to another level.
    Carlson and Rolls are from different era's,and Carlson's time was before Roll's.

Also I think Rolls' cross-training was more 'sports' orientated ie. Judo, Wrestling, Sambo etc., where-as Carlson recommended Boxing and Wrestling for cross-training - his style was more geared for Vale Tudo fighting....

Was just thinking about this earlier and wondering if any Jiu-Jitsu geeks knew.

As we know Kano developed the belt system, BJJ followed suit, my question is where did purple belt come from then?

As Judo belts go white, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown and black, where did BJJ get a purple belt from???

Its not his cup you can feel.... Mike Bishop's Avatar

I'd like to know that as well

TTT for anyone who knows.

white yellow orange green blue brown black is the modern belt system

purple was used around the time that jujitsu was introduced to Brazil

http://judoinfo.com/obi.htm
    Augustus Gloop, Augustus Gloop, a great big greedy nincompoop!!