Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grappling in California

Default Grappling in California

Going to the States in a few months.... To South California to see some friends to be precise....

Am planning to do one or two sessions with BTT Long Beach if possible - but that's a bit far from where we're staying.... The nearest clubs to us are Ricksons, Beverly Hills Jiu-Jitsu Club run by Marcus Vinicius and Hollywood BJJ run by Shawn Williams (Renzo Black Belt)....

Anyone here know of these guys? Out of the above three where would you recommend and why??? Cheers in advance

If you are in that part of LA then definitely Shawn's, the guy is an exceptional teacher and will make you feel really welcome. http://hollywoodbjj.com/
    Sir Tapsalot on here has trained there many times so can give you some info.

Worth going to Rey Diogo's place (Carlson Gracie 4th dan) as well if you can. http://www.reydiogo.com/ Again, really good teacher and very welcoming.

wrt Ricksons - he won't be there, iirc you will have to pay to be a member of his association just to train there, the costs are high and they weren't overly friendly when i emailed them asking about training there when i was in LA a few years ago.

Cheers mate - Won't be going to Ricksons then!
    Any info on Marcus Vinicius and Beverly HIlls BJJ???

Quote Originally Posted by Jogs D View Post
    Cheers mate - Won't be going to Ricksons then!
    Any info on Marcus Vinicius and Beverly HIlls BJJ???
    I know marcus.. we had him for seminar.. and talked to him quite a bit.

EXCELT instructor, heavyon perfect basic. its crazy how many detials he shows to one pass.
    Never been to BHJJ..

Man Rey Diogo, Shawn Williams, Marcus Vinicus.. Just viset them all. see what you like most.
    all world class teachers.
    Insert whiny message

Quote Originally Posted by J-Sho View Post
    If you are in that part of LA then definitely Shawn's, the guy is an exceptional teacher and will make you feel really welcome. http://hollywoodbjj.com/
    Sir Tapsalot on here has trained there many times so can give you some info.
    Yep, I'm out at Shawn's every year, can't speak highly enough of him. He's the best instructor I've ever trained with, breaks techniques down extremely well, and all of his guys are super technical and friendly. Plus if you're there on a UFC weekend everyone goes to the academy to watch it live on the big screen they've got there I haven't trained at Rey Diogo's, but I have met and trained with a couple of his guys, again very good and friendly too.

wrt Ricksons - he won't be there, iirc you will have to pay to be a member of his association just to train there, the costs are high and they weren't overly friendly when i emailed them asking about training there when i was in LA a few years ago.
    I had the same experience dealing with Rickson's, expensive, and weren't particularly helpful.

If you've got anymore questions, let me know.

James

Ditto on the lack of help from Rickson's place. If I remember correctly Beverly Hills BJJ is really pricey, even just to drop into?

If you're in Hollywood area, and want a bit of MMA action, Legends was really good when I was there. Not the McDojo you might expect - in one day I had a small group lesson with Randy and Mayhem, a near enough private off Karo Parisyan, an Eddie Bravo class, and sparring with Rampage. They only charge $100 for the week as well.

Isn't Rani based somewhere in or near LA?
    www.kaobon.com home of TEAM KAOBON MMA/MUAYTHAI

Cheers mate.....

Turns out Shawn's is actually is the closest to where we'll be staying. They also do classes prety much throughout the day which is great - I can the do the family thing and get training in when I want as well!

I think I'll be doing most of my training at Shawn's. I'm definately going to try and visit BTT in Long Beach once, possibly twice. I'll see if I can visit Rey Diogo's place time permitting. Otherwise who knows, James I may even bump into you at Shawns!

Thanks for you help guys - much appreciated! Any more info on training in California would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Jogs D; 06-01-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterboy View Post
    If you're in Hollywood area, and want a bit of MMA action, Legends was really good when I was there. Not the McDojo you might expect - in one day I had a small group lesson with Randy and Mayhem, a near enough private off Karo Parisyan, an Eddie Bravo class, and sparring with Rampage. They only charge $100 for the week as well.
    Legends is on La Brea (I think), about 10 mins drive from Shawn's. I've gone past it a few times, but as I like my jiu jitsu with the gi, I've never trained there.

Isn't Rani based somewhere in or near LA?
    Rani's out in Orange County. Not too far if you're driving and you don't get caught in the LA traffic, otherwise you could be looking at 90mins each way! In the same vicinity is also GB America (plus about 100 other GB schools!), Tinguinha, and Leo Viera.

Quote Originally Posted by JogsD:290908
    Turns out Shawn's is actually is the closest to where we'll be staying. They also do classes prety much throughout the day which is great - I can the do the family thing and get training in when I want as well!

I think I'll be doing most of my training at Shawn's. I'm definately going to try and visit BTT in Long Beach once, possibly twice. I'll see if I can visit Rey Diogo's place time permitting. Otherwise who knows, James I may even bump into you at Shawns!
    Jogs - You'll love it at Shawn's, he's just an encyclopaedia of BJJ, and always stuff that works first time. There's 2 other black belts training there too - Sean Flannery (Shawn's first and only BB) and Sam Joseph (Yamasaki BB), and a host of tough browns, purples, blues and even white belts. Plus you get the likes of Rodrigo Gracie, Romulo Barral, Alberto Crane and Dave Camarillo dropping in unannounced

If you've got any questions about training at Shawn's or just the area in general, drop me a PM mate.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tapsalot View Post
    Legends is on La Brea (I think), about 10 mins drive from Shawn's. I've gone past it a few times, but as I like my jiu jitsu with the gi, I've never trained there.
    Yeah, it's on the corner of La Brea and Hollywood, opposite a big bodybuilding gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tapsalot View Post
    Rani's out in Orange County. Not too far if you're driving and you don't get caught in the LA traffic, otherwise you could be looking at 90mins each way! In the same vicinity is also GB America (plus about 100 other GB schools!), Tinguinha, and Leo Viera.
    Traffic south to Orange County can REALLY suck depending on timing - 90 mins would be lucky in rush hour!
    www.kaobon.com home of TEAM KAOBON MMA/MUAYTHAI

i am jealous..

that is all..