Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Question

Default Rolling Question

have any of u guys on here ever ''rolled'' with a ''good'' wrestler?

I did tonight...he has very, very limited knowledge of the submission game but i had a very,very hard evening..to the point that i had my ass handed to me at times..i have to admit, its a very humbling experience esp if he gains side control advantage from the takedown..

the guy was phenominal with position and even got me into the 'headlock from hell' which hurt like a mofo...

his muscular endurance and cardio was fantastic and with a few submissions added to positional awareness, i can only imagine the damage he could do in sub wrestling..never mind mma.

Anybody have similar experiences??
    Last edited by The Natural; 04-01-2009 at 02:13 AM.

Yeah, everytime I have ever rolled or sparred with abdul.

Abduls cross face is legendary

my fren.

1 do not use closed guard ok? butterfly guard to chinstrap or sweep or armdrag
    (completly stolen from marcelo garcia)
    closed guard will get you stacked, frustated.
    2 work on headlock escapes and wrestlers cradle
    3 Dont be faggot ok?

There also is something on here rolling with big strong guy, written by JFK. it was very good.. try to look for it.
    Insert whiny message

John Kavanagh’s guide to Rolling with BSG’s (Big Strong Guy)

Assumptions
    1. He outweighs you by +10kgs (22lbs)
    2. He moves in an explosive manner

Aims
    1. Stay injury free
    2. Get top position, cook your opponent, submit them

A couple of tips I’ve picked up along the way:
    Start in combat base – this leaves you free to come forward but more than likely have to accept guard. Never start on your knees, if he rushes you you’ll go over your knee and POP! If you want to ‘fight’ for top then stand up and work for the takedown, space permitting.

Guard
    Use your guard to reverse him, forget about climbing to pit stop or armlocks, triangles etc, as you’ll get stacked/slammed and end up injured. Be patient, work your butterfly guard/open guard variations and get the sweep. This might take seconds or hours – what’s the hurry?

Passing
    Pass over or around the guard – going under will probably result in a scramble to the knees and him taking you down.

Passing to half guard first is good strategy. Keep your hips low and let them use that ‘spaz’ energy to attempt to reverse you – watch your base!

Shoulder of Justice – have this technique DOWN! I think it’s the key to a good top game for the small guy. Use it to pass the half guard.

Avoid the mount – odds are you’ll be reversed by a BSG.

Use side control to fatigue your opponent – keep your weight on them and block out the guard. When they get to their knees (which they will) take the back.

Back control
    Stay there and work for your choke, don’t get excited and give it up for the armbar.

Bottom
    This really, really sucks. Mentally you need to find a happy place then keep your arms in and your neck tucked. Wait for them to give you space and work your escapes.

[QUOTE=Duchman;289962]my fren.

1 do not use closed guard ok? butterfly guard to chinstrap or sweep or armdrag
    (completly stolen from marcelo garcia)
    closed guard will get you stacked, frustated.

i never got to closed guard..not even once..

2 work on headlock escapes and wrestlers cradle

have to do..

3 Dont be faggot ok?

I can assure u fren, i aint no faggot

Manik,

thanks for digging that out for me..its a great help...
    Last edited by The Natural; 04-01-2009 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manik View Post
    John Kavanagh’s guide to Rolling with BSG’s (Big Strong Guy)

Assumptions
    1. *He outweighs you by +10kgs (22lbs)*
    2. He moves in an explosive manner

Aims
    1. *Stay injury free*
    2. *Get top position, cook your opponent, submit them*
    That is an excellent article

there are a few things that i'd like to add to shed more light on the situation..

1. he's lighter than me..
    2. my knee hurts badly today..im limping to be exact..
    3. getting top position def aint going to come off the takedown..thats for sure..

similair things happens at with pro rl players, no subs, just good base, strength and cardio. good thread.anyone fit, strong and athletic is hard to fight, especially if they don't do what you would expect them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast but dim View Post
    similair things happens at with pro rl players, no subs, just good base, strength and cardio. good thread.anyone fit, strong and athletic is hard to fight, especially if they don't do what you would expect them to.
    I can confirm that union players are pretty good too. Don't let them pick you up!
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

I sparred a bit of wrestling with a guy from NY who'd trained wrestling since he was a kid (i think he was about 30) and he spanked me, but full sub grappling the general template was that he took me down a lot, pinned me for a while but i regained guard and subbed him from there due to his submission inexperience. so far this has been my only experience with a good wrestler with no sub skills. if he did BJJ for a matter of months he would no doubt have mauled me.