Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Amateur careers?

Quote Originally Posted by simpy View Post
    This is not really true as i said before i come from a muay thai background and with most amateur events now being no head shots its very hard for me to get a win, i am not saying i hav no ground skills at all but my strong point is my striking. Unless i get a body shot KO which isnt the easiest thing to do i am normally looking at a draw or a lose. So if i cant win all of my amt fights i do not belive that means i cant KO if i was fighting pro. Not that i am jumping into it yet i will get a couple more amt under my belt for now win or lose.
    There are quite a few amateur shows with headshots. Personally speaking i wouldnt do a 'no-headshot' fight because as others have said its really a different sport and wouldnt give an indication of how ur pro career might go.

who is the best amateur fighter in the u.k under 16

Quote Originally Posted by saul View Post
    There are quite a few amateur shows with headshots. Personally speaking i wouldnt do a 'no-headshot' fight because as others have said its really a different sport and wouldnt give an indication of how ur pro career might go.
    This is the thing there are not many Amateur shows that allow head shots infact i am only aware of one in the Uk the does and that is ZT fight nights.

Quote Originally Posted by saul View Post
    It depends what people want, not everyone that fights amateur rules does so because they eventually want to fight pro, some are just happy to stay at that level, maybe because they just prefer the grappling side or having a bruised face doesn't go down well at work or whatever.

I eventually want to step up from amateur to at least 'semi pro' and eventually 'B class' (as don't really fancy getting my face cut to bits with elbows) but i'm not sure it'll ever be practical as i have an office job where i'd probably get the sack if i kept turning up with with my face smashed up. even then i only fancy doing those level fights as a bit of fun, MMA is just a hobby to me and i have no ambition to make it my career or even to get anywhere with it, i just want to have fun.

I think often there's too much pressure in MMA for people to keep progressing to the next level and to fight more and more

Quote Originally Posted by ReD_mIst View Post
    Why do so few fighters value their amateur career?

It's not a race to turn pro. Amateur careers allow a fighter to actually learn their trade. A good and varied amateur career, enables a fighter to develop and will lead to an even better pro career.

In Amateur boxing, fighters can have dozens of fights before considering turning pro, but in MMA it appears fighters have 2-3 amateur fights and then are eager to turn pro. Why is that?
    Money & seen as Journey men by promoters????? that's how I felt when I was fighting, now would start quite happily back at AM and work thro
    www.k-starthaiboxing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post

I think often there's too much pressure in MMA for people to keep progressing to the next level and to fight more and more
    Now this is something i agree with. For most of us anyway we started MMA because we wanted a hobby and to have fun not because we have to be the next UFC champ in X amount of years. I train because i enjoy it and i compete because i enjoy it. Saying that i dont think a bit of drive is a bad thing so long as it is for the right reasons and not just for ego.