Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur careers?

"The UK's Lyoto Machida - Hit and Run, Baby" widge milward's Avatar

Aaron is correct,

its a whole different world when some cunt is punching you in the teeth whilst your trying to work a sub from you back. lol
    You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get

Team Colosseum

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Quote Originally Posted by steve_langford View Post
    ReD_mIst and Kainer2 for leaders of the governing body!!
    lol. I am more a fan of an MMA Dictatorship, where I tell everyone how it will be.... from my throne of skulls.

But seriously, I doubt that a governing body would want me involved. I'm pretty sure I upset more people than I unite!

steve_langford

just for the record , does anyone know which shows do amateur with ground head shots?

"The UK's Lyoto Machida - Hit and Run, Baby" widge milward's Avatar

not 100% but FCFN / UK1 may do.
    You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get

Team Colosseum

Pro Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by steve_langford View Post
    just for the record , does anyone know which shows do amateur with ground head shots?
    That would be good to know.

I know that UK-1 used to have head shot rules and I believe that some shows have used the "B Class Pro" definition to cover the rules set. Although I believe it would be easier to simply have AM Sport and PRO sport.

Any other AM promoters have suitable AM rules?

I can honestly say that when I start competing I'm gonna want my am fights to as closely resemble pro rules as poss. Otherwise it's almost like learning a different sport and not complete preperation for a pro career.

Pro Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by DanCrase View Post
    I can honestly say that when I start competing I'm gonna want my am fights to as closely resemble pro rules as poss. Otherwise it's almost like learning a different sport and not complete preperation for a pro career.
    Bingo. It is exactly like learning another sport. The stirkes are no only something additional offesively, but also defensively. In MMA you not only have to learn how to do an armbar or triangle from guard (like in BJJ), but you have to learn to do it whilst your opponent is throwing strikes).

There should be no real difference between AM and PRO, except for the level/experience of the fighters. (There maybe reason to consider the removal of neck cranks, heel hooks, elbows.... but I could be swayed either way on this)

It's a vicious circle. Very few fighters and not all the coaches understand the importance of an amateur carreer, and as a result a lot of guys turn pro a lot sooner than they should.
    Therefore, as soon as you've had a few victories there's no one left that would give you a good fight in amateur/semi pro. And you know a lot of people think you're a sandbagger, someone who's just here to pick easy fights and it's not easy to accept.

I have not actually had a fight yet and this was/is my take on my own situation.

I never knew there was an amateur level in MMA, all I knew was MMA as you see it on TV and as most people talk about it. I then found this forum and started reading more and found this thing called Amateur. I thought brilliant this is what I want to do, this way I can get a taste in it and experience. Its all well and good knowing how to fight people in a gym and it is all about experience in my opinion but fighting in the gym and in a cage/ring are two different things in my opinion.

I want to take my time, I was all in a rush to start fighting, but what is the rush in going pro, I do not want to go pro straight away get smashed up for 10 fights before I start doing well as it took me 10 fights to gain my experience. I would much rather get to the stage where I feel ready and do 10 amateur fights and see how I feel, if I am doing well then I will go semi pro and see how I do.

You need to stand out from the crowd to get noticed so make all your silly mistakes as a amma when the spot light is not on you as much.

I will say this and this is not being bitter. I applied for fighting hurts ( I was the big fat guy Thor ) I am so glad I did not get chosen, I was no where near ready and I thank my lucky stars for that, but back then before I found this place I really had no idea about anything and I am now learning and improving in leaps and bounds.

--edit--

I know people rip it out of Pro K, but I think what they have is also a great way of doing thing, they have the same rules across the board but with different levels of fighters, this way you can learn the sport against people of your own level, also another decent way of doing things imo.
    Last edited by Yetiman; 07-01-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Pro Fighter

Good post Thor and the right approach. There's no race to be a pro and get on the UFC. I think fighters should naturally think about an amateur career of 2-4 years, before taking the plunge into pro. Think how good our pro fighters would be with that additional experience and also, I believe it would make the amateur sport more interesting.

I can't comment on Pro Kumite, unfortunately I'm not a fan and don't have much positive to add, so it's better that I don't get involved in any PK discussions